Z34 weight reduction

Omega-Red

Guys this is an odd favor to ask but I would like to ask anyone with correct information on the following weight parts of the car.

Hood

Front 1/4 panel

Bumper front and back

Trunk

rear and front seats

Doors

Wheel weight

Engine weight

I need this information for calculation of weight reduction. Thanks in advance

But this is the car weight right? Do you know specific car parts weight?

LOL, yeah you mentioned the majority of the car!

if you would have posted months ago i could have gotten the hood, trunk lid, and seats weights but they are now on my car.

Well I can tell you the rear seat is like 12lbs. I would guess the front seats are like 35lbs or so. I don't know exact weights for anything, but if you wanna know, start pulling parts off and put them on a scale. Depending on which wheel, the wheels will be around 20-25lbs.

According to the sticker on the door, my Lumina weighs just under 3400lbs., like 3392 or something IIRC. To get it under 3000lbs. would be pretty difficult IMO, because mine doesn't really have a whole lot to it.

Shawn

Well by GM tech sheet Z34 should weight about 3410 pounds which is 1546.75 kg

sorry I'm metric. So what I was wondering if its possible to reduce the weight to 2300 pounds / 1000 kg by stripping most removable parts of the body and replacing metal parts with fiberglass. As well as use lexan for windows to help reduce weight. Knowing the average weight of interior parts that you told me it seems like the task will be close to difficult if not impossible. So what other things I should consider in this drastic weight removal?

Well by GM tech sheet Z34 should weight about 3410 pounds which is 1546.75 kg

sorry I'm metric. So what I was wondering if its possible to reduce the weight to 2300 pounds / 1000 kg by stripping most removable parts of the body and replacing metal parts with fiberglass. As well as use lexan for windows to help reduce weight. Knowing the average weight of interior parts that you told me it seems like the task will be close to difficult if not impossible. So what other things I should consider in this drastic weight removal?

it would be easier to swap your motor into a J-body

The thing is I like Z34 and I think its an awesome car just needs some things to be fixed about it that GM should have done factory. One of those things is RWD. I'm into research part at the moment so I was hoping I can get as much help as possible from this forum. I'm thinking of V8 RWD light Z34 conversion. nothing crazy, just stock LS1 with 345 hp and light weight. I think a car will be capable of amazing 1/4 mile times. I'm not very big fan of stock 3.4 motor. I mean its cool and all but I'm a bit on the massive HP kind of guy. I know that it be probably be cheaper to get turbo setup and get those HP out of 3.4 but I just don't see myself doing that. Please do laugh if I sound insane. 8)

The thing is I like Z34 and I think its an awesome car just needs some things to be fixed about it that GM should have done factory. One of those things is RWD. I'm into research part at the moment so I was hoping I can get as much help as possible from this forum. I'm thinking of V8 RWD light Z34 conversion. nothing crazy, just stock LS1 with 345 hp and light weight. I think a car will be capable of amazing 1/4 mile times. I'm not very big fan of stock 3.4 motor. I mean its cool and all but I'm a bit on the massive HP kind of guy. I know that it be probably be cheaper to get turbo setup and get those HP out of 3.4 but I just don't see myself doing that. Please do laugh if I sound insane. 8)

now i understand

yes its been done befor with a grand prix. find an S10 frame make sure you get the right size one cut the body off the w-body frame fabricate it on to the s10. BTW. HUGE weight reduction in just loosing the w-body frame and motor. I think you will weigh around 2500-3200pounds if you do it right wich is 500-1000 pounds lighter then an fbody

Is there a place that sells S10 floor panels? How about 3rd gen Iroc Z floor panel? I can get one for under 500 bucks. Would that work?

the key word is fabrication. you could make it work. lots of cutting and welding take occasional pics and post your work. i would love to see this in progress

I will definitely get lots of work progress pictures once I get started. I plan to work with F bodies and Z06's mostly but this crazy project would give a good reputation to things my shop would be able to do. In the near future of cause :)

there was a 1.5 monte that got hacked onto an f-body fram, wheel wells had to be expanded tho...

I belive it was the green one right? It had LT1 450 HP and 300 tires in the back.

... As well as use lexan for windows to help reduce weight ...

The glass is structural on these cars BTW lexan would be ok for the roll up door windows but not the front/rear unless you beef up the frame which would negate the weight saving

Is there a place that sells S10 floor panels? How about 3rd gen Iroc Z floor panel? I can get one for under 500 bucks. Would that work?

the key word is fabrication. you could make it work. lots of cutting and welding take occasional pics and post your work. i would love to see this in progress

hey sony man there was a tubbed RWD Z34 at rogersville a couple weeks ago, give me hope :lol:

You could always try to get these panels to fit: http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/9194lumina.htm

I have personally thought about ordering the rear bumper, just to see how the fitment is.

Yah man thats exactly where I'm going to order it from. I was thinking how can you fit the whole body frame to metal floors? I guess its for drag racing applications only

Nice Z34 btw that you got

You could always try to get these panels to fit: http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/9194lumina.htm

I have personally thought about ordering the rear bumper, just to see how the fitment is.

Yah man thats exactly where I'm going to order it from. I was thinking how can you fit the whole body frame to metal floors? I guess its for drag racing applications only

Nice Z34 btw that you got

Yes, those parts are meant for dragsters. But, like I said, some of those look pretty close to stock dimensions. The rear end (bumper and stuff) looks as if it may fit. Of course I will have to cut for the tail lights and license plate, but thats no biggy.

Thanks for the compliment BTW.

hey sony man there was a tubbed RWD Z34 at rogersville a couple weeks ago, give me hope :lol:

You have any info on it?

Sounds like a fun project! :)

It also sounds like budget isn't a huge consideration for you, so remember - any part that VFN fiberglass sells in 'glass, they will also sell in CF.....weight savings will be huge if you go for a hood, fenders, door skins, and trunk.

- Justin

well I do want to make a car that hardly anyone done. I mean i'm sick and tired of ppl saying crap about Z34's so I want to build a bad ass fast Z34 with V8 RWD light and kick some majour ass on drag strip and track hopefully. I was just curious, if I do get this project complete and done how many people on this board will be actually intrested in doing same thing? I figured there are lots of people on here who dont care much about perfomrance but even then there has to be some hardcore fans here?

that rear bumper looks wierd with the wheelie bar cut-out..

i understand it might be lighter, but my guess is not by much..

if you want real weight reducing, take away metal, not plastic..