bridging the amp

MoTox8410

to bridge the amp do i just put the speaker wires on the "bridged" terminals??

i dont have to mess with the wireing inside the box??

what are the good and bad things of bridging the amp??

make sure your subs can hold what your amp will push when bridged, and yes just put the wires in the bridged terminals. Do not ever open your amp!!!! unless you know what your doing and 99.99 percent of people don't. Like i said just make sure your subs can handle what your amp is gonna push when bridged. later Jay

i meant the wiring in the sub box lol but whats exactly does more wattage mean

my subs can handle 300 rms and my amp wil give out 460 RMS bridged so 230watts to both subs i'll be safe right???can u blow ur subs with below the max RMS???

is it a 4 channel amp? if its a 4 channel amp your basically makeing it a 2 channel amp by bridging it but you better make sure the ohms won't be to much for your subs. :?

nAH its a 2 channel amp

whats the got to do with ohms?

and on a two channel, its simple, "+" to "+" and "-" to "-"

oye. i'm so confused with this information.

2ch amp bridges to 1ch. Every amp bridges differently... some have a switch, some just have specific inputs you use for bridged mode. Usually when an amp is bridged, + on one channel goes to + on the speaker, + on the other channel goes to - on the speaker. Your amp should (hopefully) be marked to tell you which terminal goes where in bridge mode.

You have to make sure your AMP is stable to the ohms of your SUB, not the other way around.

A 2-channel amp that will handle 2-ohm loads should handle 4-ohms in bridge mode. The minimum ohms an amp can handle in bridge mode is usually 2x what it will handle unbridged.

It has EVERYTHING to do with OHMs nut.

If his subs are 4 ohm subs, and he wires them in parallel, it will effectively make his subs a total of 2 ohms. If his amp in bridged mode was only designed to be run with 4 ohms, he could burn out the amp.

Bridging the amp and parallel wiring the speakers will give you mor power, however, make sure the amp has proper ventilation. Even if the amp is designed to be used for low OHM situations, I guarentee it will get hot in such situations.

If you have 2 subs and 2 channels on your amp you probably shouldn't bridge it, unless it's a very high end amp that can handle very low impedance.

can u blow ur subs with below the max RMS???

Yes. More often than none SMALL amps can blow large speakers. Reason for this is when you have a little amp cranked up it will distort causing the speaker to move like mad and bottem out. It's usually always better to have MORE power with your amp then you will need, but if your amp can put out enough DBs out of your speakers safely to your liking, then that's fine.

yeah i decided to wire my subs so each one is 2ohms (dual coiles) and connect it normally (left and right channels)

this way i have 230 watts i think for both subs 8)

(what is considered proper venthilation)

THD at Rated RMS Power 0.08% (what does this measrurement mean and is it good or bad??)

• 2 weeks later...

Hell the best way to find out if u dont know the Ohms's laws & all that jazz... Bridge it & turn it up, if they go out after a certain volume level, hell more than likely your amp protection will kick in, unbridge, & enjoy. I agree,with the "more power hohohohoho" (Tim Allen/Home Improvement).

More often than none SMALL amps can blow large speakers.

C-Bad is right. This is true, even though most people think it is the other way around.

It's very rare to have a blown Sub. A sub will blow apart (physically), from too much power. You have to beat the hell out of a sub to get it to fall apart, or just run a high power amp on a shit speaker with the volume up all the way. More commonly, people "blow" their subs because they have an amp that doesn't put out enough power. What happens is as you turn the volume up, you're pushing the amp into clipping (distortion) because it is reaching it's power output limits. That distorted wave is squared off, instead of being sinusoidal like a normal sound wave. When the wave is square, the sub is actually getting raw DC power. If the sub is run into clipping for too long (which can be less than a minute for some speakers) , all the heat that is generated from the DC current will actually melt the voice coil leads of the speaker and render it useless. :bawl:

So even though it is really easy to tell if you blew it apart, or just melted it, most people say they "blew 'em out". This is because it sounds hardcore and all the chicks will think you are dangerous and they will want you to ravage them. :wink:

Regardless of whether you have too much power or not enough power, if you turn the bass up to the point where it is distorting, don't expect your speakers to last. use a freakin equalizer :!: