Procedure for your new Water Pump

Turbo231

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I did mine again on my 3.1 (same thing). The "big wrench" idea doesn't always work, I used a little breaker bar on my ratchet, left the s-belt on and broke the bolts loose quickly, I was able to break them all loose that way. leaving the belt on to break the bolts loose, assuming you can shock the bolts free quick enough, will hold the pulley in place.

Whatever way works for you is best. You could get one of those strap wrenches from Sears, that could probably work too wrapped around the pulley.

I did mine again on my 3.1 (same thing). The "big wrench" idea doesn't always work, I used a little breaker bar on my ratchet, left the s-belt on and broke the bolts loose quickly, I was able to break them all loose that way. leaving the belt on to break the bolts loose, assuming you can shock the bolts free quick enough, will hold the pulley in place.

Well, the thing is I tried leaving the belt on and it just spun.

Whatever way works for you is best. You could get one of those strap wrenches from Sears, that could probably work too wrapped around the pulley.

Is there some kind of special tool?

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Just want to share my thanks to all that posted info in this thread. Replaced my water pump a couple days ago, and it was surprisingly simple. The combination of the write-up, and the video, made for a great project with NO surprises. If anyone finds themselves in need, this repair can be done with no special tools, and in fact I think there were only 10 bolts to remove/replace to complete the task.