question about compasitors

Smoke1991

well lets say i have a 2000 watt mono amp hooked up to my subs (2 12"), what farad size should i get, 1, 2, or 3, or more???? im browsing through ebay and cant really decide on which one to get because i really dont know what i need.. any info on a system on how to decide on how many farad per x ammt of wats would be cool.

thanks

There's a huge article on capacitors posted by erok01.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24872&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

It's a huge-ass article, but I think the gist of it is that capacitors in car audio are useless.

I just scrolled through it to the end at hyper-speed so I might have missed something.

I'm sure someone else can summarize it more accurately.

• 2 weeks later...

Caps are a complete waste of money. If you do have extra money, think about putting it into a H/O alternator, or install a second battery and wire it in series with the first battery. You will get a lot more bang for your buck.

pepboys might carry a 145 amp that might work with the 3.1 but other than that, i have not seen anything above 105

but i will be getting a cap, i honestly dont care about anyone elses imput lol.

and i will NOT add another battery

gnat posted that article link, i read the whole thing. and im satisfyed with it.

my setup will include, a yellow top deep cycle bat, a 2 farad compasitor, 600 watt amp and the highist output alt i can find.

no i do, im just sick of hearing, fuck compasitiors, they shit, then someone telling me to wire another battery in...etc

especially another battery, overtime, there goes my H/O alt.

ive got enough imput to make my decision, thanks for the help everyone on this topic, but its getting to the point im hearing the same shit again in a circle.

btw, getting a rockford fosgate 2 farad for 50 bucks from my cus, so i dont see why its a waste of money compared to another 150 dollar optima battery, or hell a decent 85 dollar delco battery.

A friend of mine has 2 (12's) & 2 (10's) & a 1000 watt cap. Sounds great with no headlight dimming, caps are effective & is cheaper than alternators & batteries etc... Sometimes one here people forget to start off with "cost" friendly ideas, take it in stride & keep asking till you get a answer u want lol.

A friend of mine has 2 (12's) & 2 (10's) & a 1000 watt cap. Sounds great with no headlight dimming, caps are effective & is cheaper than alternators & batteries etc... Sometimes one here people forget to start off with "cost" friendly ideas, take it in stride & keep asking till you get a answer u want lol.

Bingo