Crank, but no start

Prospeeder

Ok, i cannot figure this out, i went out, and tried to start it, and it would just crank, and somtimes it would kinda fire, a little, then keep cranking, i recharged the battery, still nothing, iv not messed with anything, Mechanicly the crossover has a crack, but its not like so bad it stalls yet, its got 70k miles on it, what could it be? i havents replaced anything, no plugs, no wires, no coils, nothing of the sort, airfilter is new, thats it

Have you hooked up a spark tester to one of your plug wires? They're relatively inexpensive, and they're handy to have when you get a no start condition.

To test for fuel pressure, find the "Schrader Valve" on the fuel rail (it looks like a valve stem) and depress the valve to see if you have fuel pressure (put some rags around the valve so you don't spray fuel everywhere.)

These 2 simple checks will narrow down your search to either a spark or a fuel delivery problem.

Check for fuel pressure and spark before anything else. Take a screw driver and press the shrader valve in on the fuel rail to see if you have any pressure. My first TGP's fuel pump took a shit without warning...just like you are describing...drove fine, parked it and nothing but cranky cranky no fire! :wink:

is the fuel rail under the car?

Oh boy...No the fuel rail is the bar (rail) that that connects directly to the fuel injectors. On the drivers side of the engine compartment there is a valve that is used as a test point for the fuel pressure. There should be a twist off cap on it. Under that is a shraider valve (same type of valve used on tires). If you push down on that valve with a screw driver you should get a strong shot of fuel out of there. If it is week or it dribbles your fuel pump is shot! 8)

If my digital camera was not in Hungary right now with my wife and son I would take a picture of it to show you... 8)

oh i think know where that is, derr, lol, sorry, dunce over here

Be careful when you push it not to get it in your face or in your eyes!! If the fuel pump has pressure up there it should come out with force.

Another thing is if your fuel gauge is bad and you ran it out of fuel (like someone else on this board has experienced! :wink: ) you will have cranky cranky but no fire... 8)

Another thing is if your fuel gauge is bad and you ran it out of fuel (like someone else on this board has experienced! :wink: )

Hahahaha! Thanks Kenny! 8) :lol:

Another thing is if your fuel gauge is bad and you ran it out of fuel (like someone else on this board has experienced! :wink: )

Hahahaha! Thanks Kenny! 8) :lol:

:lol: :lol: I DIDN'T SAY ANY NAMES!!! :lol: :lol:

Glad to hear they finally made it :thumbsup:

Yeah they had a pretty good trip over. British Airways has lost my business...but that is a long story! :wink: They seem to be happy...but after 1 week the wife is already saying she is ready to come home! :shock: 8)

no, its not out of gas, its got 3/4 of a tank, the gauge works fine, i just filled it up

I would buy a fuel pressure meter to put on the schrader valve to tell you exactly what pressure you have instead of the "squirt" test. idbeast has posted numerous times what your static and dynamic pressure should be at the fuel rail. Do a search for "idbeast" and "fuel pressure".

If that checks ok...check for spark. If you do not have spark then you need to look at your connections to the coils...check for operation of the crank position sensor...and have the DIS checked by a local parts store (autozone, checker, napa).

There is a bunch of things that may have gone wrong...but start with the basic prinicples...Fuel and Spark! 8)

ok, i went and did the fuel pressure test with the screw driver, absolutly no pressure at all! it is the one with the metal screw off cap under the plenum, but off to the left a bit on sort of a "rail" common sense told me it was, can i put the screw driver and pushed the middle thing down, nothing, no pressure

ok, i went and did the fuel pressure test with the screw driver, absolutly no pressure at all! it is the one with the metal screw off cap under the plenum, but off to the left a bit on sort of a "rail" common sense told me it was, can i put the screw driver and pushed the middle thing down, nothing, no pressure

With the ignition on or off?

If with the ignition off and off overnight, the checkvalve in the fuel pump might be bad...not a problem really..just means your fuel pump will run longer with a fresh start-up in the morning or after a long sit time.

If with the ignition on...

1.) Low chance, but could be a completely clogged fuel filter.

2.) Fuel pump fuse is blown. If it is blown you will need to find out why!

3.) Fuel Pump Relay bad.

4.) Fuel Pump has realized it is in a Turbo Grand Prix and not a Corvette and is on strike!

5.) Fuel Pump has gone to the great Auto-Bahn in the sky!...AKA it died! 8)

ok,. i did it with the ignition on, ucan hear the fuel pump make a sputtering sorta noise, and then i go and press on it, and a some gas come out, not alot, and not at alot of pressure either, so would this be clogged filter or bad pump

ok,. i did it with the ignition on, ucan hear the fuel pump make a sputtering sorta noise, and then i go and press on it, and a some gas come out, not alot, and not at alot of pressure either, so would this be clogged filter or bad pump

Well if it is sputtering it could be:

1.) Fuel Pump relay going bad (doubtful).

2.) Fuel Pump is on it's last leg trying to turn but the internals are all FUBAR'd

You need to do your fuel filter anyway when you do the pump so you might try to change it to see if the pump evens out. That is very doubtful to help...but you never know and you need to do it anyway when you do the pump! :wink:

I'd be willing to guess the pump. I don't know that the filter can get SO clogged, that it won't allow the engine to start. Most cars have never had the fuel filter replaced, regardless of age. In spite of this, I have yet to hear changing the fuel filter solving an issue like this.

My red TGP (which has yet to hit the street) did a similar thing. When me and my buddy first got it started (just to make sure it would, and had no rod knocking or anything), it had a REAL hard time getting going (backfiring, sputtering, etc). But it finally turned over, and actually ran really good considering the previous owner had, for some reason, taken everything apart (had to put the K&N filter off the TSTE onto it, because it was missing the entire air intake, there was no computer, one of the fuel injectors was unplugged, the radiator wasn't bolted down, the boots on the plug wires were literally cracked in half, etc). I was quite surprised at its off the line acceleration given the condition (wouldn't stop spinning the wheels till I got off the pedal). When I went to try it again a few weeks later, it just cranked and cranked and cranked. It hasn't started since. I had a buddy hit the shradder valve while I was cranking, and even though you could hear the pump, we got nothing for fuel coming out the valve. I didn't have time to try to change it before my work place moved (where I was storing it, and planning on fixing everything), so I took it over to a mechanic I know. He pressure tested, and said the pump was definitely out, but i wasn't getting spark, either. :shock: Not to worry. I have all new NGK Iridiums for it, Taylor 8 mm wires (bought them off TGPGuy), and brand new Delco coils and ICM. That leaves basically only the crank sensor as a possibility (outside of the computer, but I don't think that's the problem).

Fuel pump is in the gas tank.

You have to drop the tank.

Fuel filter is just in front of the rear suspension on the left side.

Check your fuel pressure with a gage, just to make sure.

Should be around 40 lbs.

Yep check the fuel pressure . If you got 6 lbs or something like that , then yeah the pump is almost gone . Or maybe the fuel filter could be an option . Or maybe you filled your car with Diesel and thats not cool. lol just j/k

i had this problem with my 3.1 and that was the fuel filter . The gas pump is a hell of a job i presume : |

oh it definatly has no pressure, it squirts gas barly to the throttle body, ahhh, i really hope its just the fuel filter, cause i really dont wanna drop the tank, i still have 3.4 of a tank of gas, and premium is exspensive, and i dont have a contain big enough for 10 or so gallons

ok, i just tried to start it, it would crank crank, sorta try to turn over, then crank, than sorta try to turn over, i gave it some gas, then floord it, and it putted to life, and it wouldnt stay up, it shudderd horribly, it would just die, and the fans came on, i tried agian, it did it again, started, and i floord it, and it extremely slowly screeped up to 2k and then i let off cause it wasnt gonna do much more, the shuddering was awful, and it died, and the fans came on, i left it at that, im so pissed, so obviously its not getting enough fuel right?

Yup. Almost exactly what mine was doing, except even with gas, it wouldn't start. It would just try to turn over harder, but no go.

Yup. Almost exactly what mine was doing, except even with gas, it wouldn't start. It would just try to turn over harder, but no go.

You say "was?" If you corrected the issue...how did you do it? 8)