Wheel offset question...

KingArthur

42's will push the wheel "in" more, and will rub against your inner fender liners. The 2nd Generation W-Bodies are able to handle a +42mm offset, but the 1st Gen's can't without using spacers and grinding down the caliper brackets. Stick with a +38mm offset and you'll be okay.

42's will push the wheel "in" more, and will rub against your inner fender liners. The 2nd Generation W-Bodies are able to handle a +42mm offset, but the 1st Gen's can't without using spacers and grinding down the caliper brackets. Stick with a +38mm offset and you'll be okay.

Disco I wasent aware of the 04 malibu and 04 Impala???????????????????????? :shock: :shock:

Actually, the factory pie-cut wheels on my 89 Cutlass were +44mm offset and didn't rub at all.

I think +42mm will be fine, but MAY rub on the front caliper brackets. You won't know until you try the wheel.

i also got a 92 Lumina but the rims i like have 40 MM offset. will they rub my caliper because i am going to be getting powercoated calipers and want to make sure that it wont mess em up or i wont have to grind them down. thanks

brian

Geee... it seems like every wheel I like has a +42mm offset. I haven't found one yet with a +38mm. I like the stock chrome wheels from a 03' Impala. I've been to discount-tire and tirerack. What's another good website for affordable wheels.

Like I've said, lots of wheels +42mm will fit and clear the calipers. Lots of the factory wheels that they put on these cars were +42mm. It depends on the wheel. Just because offset is +42mm doesn't mean it won't clear, you'll have to try it or find someone that has. Even if the offset is in the 30's doesn't mean it WILL clear. I put 5mm spacers on my 42mm wheels making them 37mm, and even at 37mm they weren't even close to clearing.

It all depends on wheel and spoke design. Wheels that bulge out in the middle (convex) are more likely to fit. The problem with mine is they're very concave.

I see what your saying. I guess I'll have to try some on for size :)

In Arkansas, most 90-94 Lumina's are in bad shape. After I get it painted next week it should be the nicest one in town. What I'm saying is, its ashame that every Lumina I see has missing hub caps.

Actually, the factory pie-cut wheels on my 89 Cutlass were +44mm offset and didn't rub at all.

I think +42mm will be fine, but MAY rub on the front caliper brackets. You won't know until you try the wheel.

I know my stock STE wheels were 44mm IIRC, if not it was more, like 48 or so. They always rubbed when I had them on the car. I am guessing they probably have since it was new. When I went to the 5 spokes, I think the offset on those is 25mm, and even though they are a half inch wider, they clear by a good amount compared to the others rubbing.

Shawn