Inaccurate dipstick readings

88Intl

Why is the dipstick on my 2.8 impossible to read? Oil covers the dipstick way past the FULL mark, even right after an oil change. Possible there is sludge in the dipstick tube, previous owner put the wrong dipstick in, or is this typical on the 2.8? Ran it till the motor was making noise, and the OIL warning came on occasionally, but the dipstick reading seemed OK.

I dunno man. I have the same problem on my 2001 impala. It reads WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY past the full mark, i know i put the right #of quarts in there so i tshouldnt read like that. Not only that, but my tranny dipstick no matter what i do(shifting it, driving it) looks low(not even hittin a dot on the dip stick). But there are no tranny leaks, and i know i put the recommended #of quarts in there too. its weird. I worry myself a lot becaue of it and dunno if there is a beter way of doing it.

THis might sound stupid, but flip it over, and look at where the mark is. I have this same problem, all the time, in all the cars I have had. I would always flip it, and for some reason always found a more defined line. Then just match it to the front.

Dont know why in the hell it would do that, other than maybe the actuall markings on the stick messing up with it sticking or something.

Jon

Flushed the motor with oil & new filter + CD2 Oil Detergent, followed by another oil change. There was some fine metallic particles in the drained oil, looked kind of copper, hope the main bearings weren't damaged too badly. Motor sounds OK now and oil pressure readings are back to normal. After 4 qt oil change & new filter, oil is halfway up the dipstick, with no clear line between wet and dry, stick inserted right side up or right size down. Possible causes:

• wrong size dipstick - do all 2.8 W-body motors use the same size?
  • crap in dipstick tube, or bent tube
  • something in pan displacing oil so its higher, though wouldnt that foam while in contact with the crankshaft?