3400 intake swap (UPDATE: COMPLETE w/ pix!!!!)

GP1138

Pictures!

DSC_0003.jpg

Before the carnage started...

DSC_0004.jpg

Plenum Removal

DSC_0007.jpg

This is why the swap is worthwhile... and why before my car fell flat on it's face after 5500RPM... look how much bigger those intake runners are!

DSC_0009.jpg

Chris monkeying around with something...

DSC_0012.jpg

Me getting ready to yank off the LIM of the 3100....

DSC_0014.jpg

Lower intake manifolds! Left: 3400 Right: 3100...

DSC_0016.jpg

Yes, it's an engine!!

DSC_0018.jpg

What a mess!

DSC_0024.jpg

No!!!!! Stop!!! Don't remove those head bolts!! (Funny: we actually broke 2 3/8" Craftsman 15mm sockets before we switched over to 1/2" and a cheater bar...)

DSC_0030.jpg

Chris with a light and oil dipstick tube between his legs trying to remove rear manifold nuts...

DSC_0033.jpg

Me trying to do the same thing...

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

Engine!!

Not many more pics because my Grandpa's very expensive camera need not have been damaged by our greasy hands, and we got too into what we were doing. Finished shot soon...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GP1138

• rudefyet

• OldsmoBeast

• terryk2003

i just got in, i gotta say i had a great time.

i have to wonder if you got a bad thermostat from meijers last night it dosen't seem right that it runs that hot.

Wow, interesting way of keeping the crossover and manifolds bolted up. So you ended up just reinstalling your old heads then?

Yeah, and we had tons of fun getting them back on. Especially when we realized we had forgotten to put the exhaust manifold gasket on the rear head, after we got all the head bolts tightened.

Brian, how long did it take you to get your coolant system back to normal? And what did you do about the 1" coolant quick disconnect fitting coming out the back of the LIM right near the thermostat? Was your old 3100 one just plug 'n' play, or did you have to get a different one?

BTW: forgot to ask ealier...but, do you happen to have a total cost of the swap!?...i MIGHT end up doing the same swap to my car in the near future as there appears to be a lil seepage around the LIM and i don't trust that gasket...

I had some seperation between the blue area (around the port) and the actual plastic frame of the gasket that the pushrods go around and through, and I'm fairly sure they were alright, but I like to be sure.

Here's a rundown of the cash dropped:

$150: 2001 Olds Alero 3400 Plenum (incl. TB, EVAP), Fuel Rail (incl. injectors), and Lower Intake

$75/ea.: 1997 Lumina 3100 Roller Rocker heads

~$130: Upper gasket set incl. head gaskets, intake gaskets, plenum gaskets, and valve gaskets we didn't use.

$7 - Blue Silicone RTV and Threadlocker

Total: ~$500

Have a little cash reserve when you tear into the car, just in case. It'd have been nice to have been able to not have to borrow money from people to get this done. :oops: I'm just glad the biggest kinks are out of the way. :D :D

Brian, how long did it take you to get your coolant system back to normal? And what did you do about the 1" coolant quick disconnect fitting coming out the back of the LIM right near the thermostat? Was your old 3100 one just plug 'n' play, or did you have to get a different one?

Well I had a couple tricks up my sleeve regarding the cooling system: After the radiator was "full" I squeezed on the upper radiator hose in order to get some air bubbles to come out of the filler neck. Then added more coolant, and repeated about 3 times. Started the engine up, added coolant to the top of the filler neck, let it run until either the temp got above 200 or the upper rad hose got warm, and bled the system. But I ended up replacing the T-stat anyway since the seal from the old one was leaking.

As to the fitting by the T-stat, my lower manifold was from a '97-98 3400 so the port was already threaded, so mine just went in. If it wasn't tapped, I know some people would tap it, but me personally I'd just get the correct coolant quick-fit line for it.

As to the fitting by the T-stat, my lower manifold was from a '97-98 3400 so the port was already threaded, so mine just went in. If it wasn't tapped, I know some people would tap it, but me personally I'd just get the correct coolant quick-fit line for it.

Well, I'm gonna find the correct hose for this 3400. Right now, it's still running a bit hot, and I think that's because the line is still dripping. No steam coming out from under the hood though, that's surprising.

i think you oughta buy the whole quick disconnect fitting that we saw at autozone

then again it would be worth your time to drop by the yard you got the intakes from and just see if you can grab that hose.

that is awesome that you got all the work done. Im very curious to see how she drives for you. too bad you don't have like before and after numbers. The 3.4 engine really suprised me last week. I drove a 03 grand am gt, and it actually pushed me back in my seat. I was like wow.

Awesome job though.

Well, I'm gonna find the correct hose for this 3400. Right now, it's still running a bit hot, and I think that's because the line is still dripping. No steam coming out from under the hood though, that's surprising.

You and me both, bro. I've been chasing down a tiny coolant leak near the coolant fitting/TB housing that drips occasionally onto the tranny case. So far everything I've done has helped it (new T-stat, RTV on the quick-connect O-ring and pipe, RTV on the insert threads) but I haven't gotten it to stop. Took a look today and I see some green at the mating surface between the LIM and T-stat housing. I have an itchy feeling this housing isn't flat. It LOOKS ok though. I have a spare housing I'm gonna try, as well as RTV both sides of the T-stat seal and pray to Allah it doesn't leak. Coolant can drip ONCE and I can smell it. That's pretty much what it does!

And Jeremy, get your ass in gear :willynilly: It'd be like a 3 hour job for you, Mr "I have roller heads, AND the right EGR for this swap, AND the PCM with the MAF that can compensate for the added flow better"

And Jeremy, get your ass in gear :willynilly: It'd be like a 3 hour job for you, Mr "I have roller heads, AND the right EGR for this swap, AND the PCM with the MAF that can compensate for the added flow better"

well, wait a second then...does that mean i could do this swap easier and cheaper on my '97 3100 then!?... :twisted: ...

well, wait a second then...does that mean i could do this swap easier and cheaper on my '97 3100 then!?... :twisted: ...

Yes, and so could I if I didn't break my F*CKING 3400 LIM!!!

argh.

ok then...so what's involved in doing this swap on a '97 3100 then?...do i have to change the heads or anthing like that!?...or is it basically the intake swap!?...

ok then...so what's involved in doing this swap on a '97 3100 then?...do i have to change the heads or anthing like that!?...or is it basically the intake swap!?...

Nope....its really simple actually....you have to buy the 3400 intake manifolds and TB...certain years are better because it uses the same EGR as our cars...Van engines are better because they got a bigger TB. I'm sure ppl know the specifics on here better than I do. Then basically all you gotta do is figure out whether u wanna get a new heater hose for the new T-Stat housing or tap threads into your 3400 LIM t-stat housing, get intake gaskets for a 3400, put it all together, hook it all up, and go.

Basically....theres a better writeup somewhere. i think its on 60degreev6

Nope....its really simple actually....you have to buy the 3400 intake manifolds and TB...certain years are better because it uses the same EGR as our cars...Van engines are better because they got a bigger TB. I'm sure ppl know the specifics on here better than I do. Then basically all you gotta do is figure out whether u wanna get a new heater hose for the new T-Stat housing or tap threads into your 3400 LIM t-stat housing, get intake gaskets for a 3400, put it all together, hook it all up, and go.

Basically....theres a better writeup somewhere. i think its on 60degreev6

:shock: thats freakin sweet...i didnt know it was that easy...i might have to do the swap here in the spring/summer (i'm worried my intake gaskets are gonna blow on me)...so, since i was gonna swap the gaskets anywayz, might as well change the whole intake :twisted: ...awsome...thanx for that info...maybe someone will chime in later with more...i'll check around on 60*v6 abit too and see what i can come up with :D