what kind of power would a turbo Iron Duke make?

maybe2fast

there would be a ton of room to work with. one manifold to hook up to and it is a tuff motor and would take the boost. what do you think a turbo iron duke would put out? any links? I know it has to have been done before.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aaron

• DiscoStudd

• bartonmd

• Bossman429

Check out the 1984 and 1985 Indy Pace cars.

1984 was a Fiero with a 232 horse duke.

1985 was a Cutlass Calais convertible with a 215 horse duke.

I used to have a pic of the engine in the cutlass, but lost it somewhere, looked odd with a blue air filter housing and vavle cover.

EDIT:

Nevermind, it wasn't blue, it was silver. Looks UNUSUALLY clean for a 2.5 eh?

1985%20oldsmobile%20indy%20500%20eng1.jpg

http://www.autocollections.com/index.cfm?key=685&action=details&tab=inventory

Cavaliers never had the 'Duke, although the very early 1.8 isuzu motor looked similar to the 'Duke. Maybe that car was a Celebrity? The Celeb and "Shit-ation" (Citation) were the only Chevy cars to get the 'Duke in the 80's (then the Lumina in the early 90's) ...

Check out the 1984 and 1985 Indy Pace cars.

1984 was a Fiero with a 232 horse duke.

The 1984 Iron Duke Fiero had like 70hp, by far not 232. The most power ever in a production Fiero was the 86-88 2.8L V6.

The Indy pace cars were just a stock Duke I'm pretty sure. Almost positive they didn't have 232hp...

All cars that pace the 500 are required a certain performance capability. That is why the corvettes, camaros, and mustangs can generally pace in stock form with the only addition of a flashing light bar. The smaller cars like the 90 Beretta, 84 Fiero, 85 Calais, etc all have built engines with at least 200HP. Why do you think the 88 Cutlass Supreme had a turbo quad in it? They could have thrown an 84 horse duke in there if performance didn't matter?

CELEBRITY! That's it. I couldn't remember which ugly box it was. You should've seen the look on his face wheN I told him I could've got that engine out of the J/Y for $100.. which is all the guys who swapped it for $800 did.

The Indy pace cars were just a stock Duke I'm pretty sure. Almost positive they didn't have 232hp...

All cars that pace the 500 are required a certain performance capability. That is why the corvettes, camaros, and mustangs can generally pace in stock form with the only addition of a flashing light bar. The smaller cars like the 90 Beretta, 84 Fiero, 85 Calais, etc all have built engines with at least 200HP. Why do you think the 88 Cutlass Supreme had a turbo quad in it? They could have thrown an 84 horse duke in there if performance didn't matter?

I know this. What I'm saying is that the normal 84 Indy cars didn't actually pace the races, they were reproduction units of the pace cars. Therefore I don't think they'd make them with that much power. Remember, 232hp in a 84 Fiero is enough for a 13.5, if not better. So find me a page that talks about the 84 Indy Fiero and its engine, becuz I don't see GM doing that considering a 232hp Fiero would embarrass the 84 Corvette in a 1/4mi.

I know this. What I'm saying is that the normal 84 Indy cars didn't actually pace the races, they were reproduction units of the pace cars. Therefore I don't think they'd make them with that much power. Remember, 232hp in a 84 Fiero is enough for a 13.5, if not better. So find me a page that talks about the 84 Indy Fiero and its engine, becuz I don't see GM doing that considering a 232hp Fiero would embarrass the 84 Corvette in a 1/4mi.

:think:

I think building a duke would be fun, just for the challenge of it. But the cost vs hp ratio would be nuts, that motor really would need some work to get some decent numbers out of it.

I think I understand what you are trying to say. I was talking about the ACTUAL pace cars that were at the race, pacing the Indy 500. All of those cars (usually 4 or more) had the ballsy engine. I think you are refering to the pace car REPLICAS that, in fact didn't have much special done to the engine. If you look at that link I included under the engine pic in my previous post, that is a pic of one of the 4 actual pace cars from 1985, so it does have the 215HP duke. Any Calais pace car replica would have the regular duke. How much would each pace car replica cost if it had that 232 HP "Race Duke"??????? It would be ungodly!

Sorry for any confusion, I wasn't trying to pick any fights. I'm just really into pace cars, and have read a few books about the history of Indy 500 pace cars. If I had the cash, and space, I'd have a couple replicas. :)

Guest TurboSedan

I think I understand what you are trying to say. I was talking about the ACTUAL pace cars that were at the race, pacing the Indy 500. All of those cars (usually 4 or more) had the ballsy engine. I think you are refering to the pace car REPLICAS that, in fact didn't have much special done to the engine.

exactly. for example the the '88 Cutlass Pace Car Replicas came with a 2.8L V6 and NOT the 250hp Turbo Quad-4 that the ACTUAL Pace Car used.

and screw the idea of a Turbo Iron Duke....i would much rather install some low compression pistons in a Quad-4 and throw a T3/T4 .63 A/R turbine with a 60-trim compressor on in! vrooooommm!!!! :D i just don't like the idea of a pushrod 4-banger....it would have to be SOHC or better yet DOHC.

the actual pace car fiero, and +230hp, but it wasn't a duke, it was a 2.7L SD4 (superduty 4). you can't buy a SD4, you have to build one from the parts that are available but in very limited quanities. A few fiero guys have done it been around 270hp...but they have invested between $7-10K to do so.

here is a pic of the 2.7 SD4

indy6.jpg

here is the 92hp 2.5 that came stock in the replicas

DSCN0625_1.jpg

No they where Tweeked because the FIRST PACE CAR that did not need any modifications to make it fast enough was the 89 turbo trans am...

No they where Tweeked because the FIRST PACE CAR that did not need any modifications to make it fast enough was the 89 turbo trans am...

Not exactly...

The 1982 and 1986 Corvettes were street stock.

1976 was the first turbo V6 (by Buick of course).

The 1984 Fiero was the first 4 cylinder to pace the 500.

The 1989 Turbo T/A wasn't the first street stock car to pace the 500. An interesting fact though: of the 1500 Replicas that Pontiac built, they picked 3 of them at random to pace the 500. So the pace cars and replicas were the same thing 8)