'90 Cutlass International 2dr w/Quad 4 and 5spd

corey27

How reliable was this engine/transmission setup? I know the 5spd were RARE, but I've never heard much of the Quad 4. I'm about to purchase one, but didn't know much about them. Anyone care to advise........

Thanks,

-Cor

I've only seen one quad 4 W, it was an automatic 4 door Prix. It was in the shop, not running. I like to keep far away from the quad 4s, mainly the earlier (2.3) ones. I think GM got the bugs pretty much worked out when the 2.4 hit. If you're looking for a reliable car, I'd maybe look for a 2.8 or 3.1 car instead.

cool....from what the seller told me, he's done these repairs so far:

engine top end and timing chain overhaul. Five speed G/B overhaul for oil leak. Engine and G/B/ overhauls done before needed as precaution. Replaced: 1 rear caliper, O2 sensor, Cat. converter and muffler, water p/p, A.C.p/p, battery,steering p/p,gear change and parking brake cables,engine mounts( G.M. recall).

it's got 143k..... i've never owned an american car before so i'm kind of leary about the mileage.

I know its not a w-body, but I have a '90 Cutlass Calais with the Quad 4 HO 5 Speed and it has 188k on it and runs VERY well. It idles smooth and pulls hard (for a 2.3L) once it hits about 4k and does so throughout the rest of the powerband. The only thing that I've heard bad about them is the headgaskets. I've not had a problem with my headgasket, but I've only had the car 4 months or so. I wouldn't worry about 143k, thats not really that bad.

Shawn

i like the Quad 4 myself, as others mentioned is the head gasket problems.

i really like the power they have, i drove a 2.4 grand am that i put an engine in awahile back and it pulled like a mother, i loved every minute of it, so i can imainge how much more fun the HO 2.3 with a 5 speed would be.

• 2 weeks later...
Does the 2.3 have potential for additional horsepower?

Very much so....

First thing I would do if I had a Quad, is get a set of W41 cams, you can get a set from http://www.mantapart.com THey also sell many other parts for the Quad, but prices are steep, I think.

The W41 was the HIGHEST output Quad 4 made. It was available from 1991-1993. Oldsmobile used the cars for road racing I believe. The 93s had de-tuned cams because of a rough idle. :twisted:

I always get a little jumpy when I listen to Rex's Quad 4. He's on Beretta.net's board, I'm pretty sure those cams are more radical than W41's.

http://www.beretta.net/behind_the_wheel/big_cam_idle.rm

mmmmmmmm....

The 2.3 HO is a PRIME candidate for a turbo setup. High revs + a small quick spooling turbo = Shit dawg that thing could smoke the tires faster then you could roll a flat spliff

Does the 2.3 have potential for additional horsepower?

Very much so....

First thing I would do if I had a Quad, is get a set of W41 cams, you can get a set from http://www.mantapart.com THey also sell many other parts for the Quad, but prices are steep, I think.

The W41 was the HIGHEST output Quad 4 made. It was available from 1991-1993. Oldsmobile used the cars for road racing I believe. The 93s had de-tuned cams because of a rough idle. :twisted:

I always get a little jumpy when I listen to Rex's Quad 4. He's on Beretta.net's board, I'm pretty sure those cams are more radical than W41's.

http://www.beretta.net/behind_the_wheel/big_cam_idle.rm

mmmmmmmm....

see i'd be down w/swapping the cams, but i DON'T want that "burble" the beretta made. i'm really not into the "loud" exhaust thing. i'm more of the silent sleeper type......ya'know?!? LoL........

Don't worry about that burble sound Rex's car makes. It would be the last thing on your mind once you realize how fast his car is.

BTW, you better buy that Cutlass!! I would love to own a Quad 4/ 5 speed. Those engines have a ton of potential.

Don't worry about that burble sound Rex's car makes. It would be the last thing on your mind once you realize how fast his car is.

BTW, you better buy that Cutlass!! I would love to own a Quad 4/ 5 speed. Those engines have a ton of potential.

I would agree, the thing is, how fast would it move in a 3500 lb W?

that's a good question? i wonder b/c it's no LIGHT WEIGHT!!! i'd imagine 0-60 would be somewhere in the 7.0 - 8.0 sec range

that's a good question? i wonder b/c it's no LIGHT WEIGHT!!! i'd imagine 0-60 would be somewhere in the 7.0 - 8.0 sec range

I bet quicker than most of the 60* pushrods on this message board. They are pretty sweet engine/tranny combo's.

the 5spd quad4 cutlasses had the 180hp quad4 ho so it is a faster car then the 3.1 5spd cutlasses i still want one just haven't found one in the right color yet :evil: