Driverside Mirror

Speckkial

My mirror was knocked off last week and the one I ordered off ebay arrived the other day. I was just wondering, is installing the new one simple? Do I have to take off the whole inner door panel?

Depends on if it is power / remote / or neither, but there are 3 10 mm bolts behind the dor panel that hold it on. Pretty easy, but since its the driver's side, you might have to take the whole door panel off to hook the remote / wiring back up.

Drew

on my 88 you need to take off the whole interior panel. However your's isn't an 88 so I don't know if your's is the same. Wait for Brian P to chime in and he'll know for sure.

yeah...you have to take the door panel off...its held on by a few screws...and then some push in clips...just make sure you get all the screws out before you start trying to pop the clips cause if you dont...you'll prolly end up breaking the panel...and, yeah...should be 3 screws holding it on...

I'd give you the exact step by step info you need.. but you've got a coupe. I've taken the door panels off my Cutlass probably 20 times, but it's a sedan and at least some of the screws are different.

Most should be obvious, but make sure you pop out the power window switch pod and check for at least 1 large and possibly one small screw below that, and be sure to take off the trim behind the door handle as well, there should be 1 7mm hex screw angled upward, behind where the top of the armrest/hand grip attaches. Also, check for one or two screws under the clip on top of the door panel where the seatbelt comes out.

that's all assuming you have a pre-'95 interior, though. I don't know what year your car is.

in any case, once all the screws are out, there are like 14 plastic push-in clips that still hold the panel on, so when you feel resistance, it's probably just those. They'll look like shit after you tear them out, but you can use them again.

5 screws: 1 just below the grab handle/armrest, one INSIDE the map pocket, one accessible after removing the power window switch panel (be careful) one holding the door handle/lock button bezel, and one near the mirror. Pull gently or use the trim puller tool. Mirror is 3 10mm bolts. (10mm for 1995+ IIRC, otherwise it's 11mm like the older cars)

• 18 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I had to replace the drivers side mirror on my wifes 95 Cutlas Supreme convertible. I found the mirror on ebay at the best price and it fit perfect. I was surprised how may sources there are for this mirror. The instructions here helped a lot. I did not have to take the door panel completely off so that helped. I just replaced the rear window weather strips last week by following a thread on here. Thanks to all. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Oldsman said:

I know this is an old thread, but I had to replace the drivers side mirror on my wifes 95 Cutlas Supreme convertible. I found the mirror on ebay at the best price and it fit perfect. I was surprised how may sources there are for this mirror. The instructions here helped a lot. I did not have to take the door panel completely off so that helped. I just replaced the rear window weather strips last week by following a thread on here. Thanks to all. 

I did a write up over a decade ago for those weather strips. Glad people are still using it.