Some interesting Injector talk at the other TGP board

eclipse5302

I've always wondered how much trouble it would be to make 30# injectors work correctly, and why they couldn't be made to work correctly.

Summitracing has Ford 30# bosch injectors for $220/8.

Split 2 sets between 3 people and that's less that's about $146/set. :)

My only guess is the pulse width at idle would have to be too small for the resolution capable of the ECM, but I really don't know.

your cars are map based correct?

if so then it is SOO amasingly easy to make it work.

install the injectors then adjust your fuel per every 500rpm via an apexi AFC. that will allow you to back off the fuel where it is not needed in 500rpm increments untill you have it set perfect for your setup. my buddy dyno tuned his while he worked at PFI in Ft. Collins and gained 20hp and 26tq just from adding an AFC and an intake no adjustments in boost nothing on his 1998 GST eclipse.

Also RC Engeneering can make custom injectors for your application.

RedZ

I was thinking about the Apexi AFC, but I'm unsure if it will work with our MAP sensors. In their documentation Apexi makes it seem like you HAVE to have one of the cars listed or it won't work. And surprise, they are all foreign cars. But they way I see it, a MAP sensor is a MAP sensor (for the most part)...one of the ones listed has to be compatible with the GM sensor.

As for tuning for fuel requirements, it seems easy to tune based on the turbo boost pressure on the TGP chip. There is a table for boost pressure/RPM in the chip so you can add/subtract fuel there. I've yet to try it though to see if it really works. I'm sure I will soon when I get the 3100/3.1 turbo engine and 5 speed done.

And about tuning the factory ECM for larger injectors (ie 30lb) I'm assuming there will have to be other changes, like bigger turbo/better heads. Again, I do not know for sure but I will be looking into it when I get the engine done (mainly because I'll need to do tuning to make it work with the bigger turbo/ported heads).

Jason

I was thinking about the Apexi AFC, but I'm unsure if it will work with our MAP sensors. In their documentation Apexi makes it seem like you HAVE to have one of the cars listed or it won't work. And surprise, they are all foreign cars. But they way I see it, a MAP sensor is a MAP sensor (for the most part)...one of the ones listed has to be compatible with the GM sensor.

As for tuning for fuel requirements, it seems easy to tune based on the turbo boost pressure on the TGP chip. There is a table for boost pressure/RPM in the chip so you can add/subtract fuel there. I've yet to try it though to see if it really works. I'm sure I will soon when I get the 3100/3.1 turbo engine and 5 speed done.

And about tuning the factory ECM for larger injectors (ie 30lb) I'm assuming there will have to be other changes, like bigger turbo/better heads. Again, I do not know for sure but I will be looking into it when I get the engine done (mainly because I'll need to do tuning to make it work with the bigger turbo/ported heads).

Jason

if it helps i was told by timg that they work with the 1991-93 DOHC's which is map based. So i bet it would work.

Hmmm, I wonder if it would understand positive pressure...

The MAP sensor for a 91-93 DOHC is the same as mine except mine is 2 bar.

Good info, thanks.

Jason

Hmmm, I wonder if it would understand positive pressure...

The MAP sensor for a 91-93 DOHC is the same as mine except mine is 2 bar.

Good info, thanks.

Jason

I am saying that the AFC most likely works on your car. as for the sensor i don't think the stock DOHC would understand boost.

RedZ

No, I was talking about the Apexi being able to understand positive using the setting for the 91-93 DOHC MAP. I guess I should just email them and ask them if their product has a setting for my TGP map sensor.

Jason