Tranny Slipping......Help

Robby1870

Alright......I was on my way back to school and I was going like 30mph and all of a sudden the tranny slipped out of gear and kept doing it until I got back to school. This has not happened before.......but it really pissed me off b/c I was going to change my fluid when I was home for Xmas but neglected to do it. So, I get back to shcool and check my fluid. It was not low, but it was not the bright, rosy red color it should be. It was a very dull pink and there were a lot of grey metal shavings on the paper towel I used to check it. So, I am thinking change the fluid and filter and this will all go away, b/c I don't have the money to pay for a rebuild for new clutch disks. So, what do you all think, fluid and filter and I'll be okay, maybe a torque flush on top of that. Tell me what you think.

If you found metal shavings on the dipstick... that filter inside the tranny is full and needs to be changed. Drop the pan, change the filter, throw some new fluid in it, and you should be fine. If it still feels like it's not converting all the power still, yeah, then do a torque flush... what is ever easier for you... Plus, you could do a home project...

Check out how to do the torque flush yourself, if you want to do it right away and save some hard earn cash... head for Tech Tips (when bandwidth comes back / lot of people on? Really? COOL!) and look for 'Auto Transmission'

http://redfox340.tripod.com/wbodyperformance/

Also: http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1966&highlight=

- RedFox340

when i worked at Penske auto center we would NOT do a power flush on a customers car, if it is slipping putting in new fluid might make it worse. Just something to think about, How many miles are on your car? I did my power flush @ 55,000 miles, i have still neglected to do the filter. Does the filter really need to be changed? When should it? Later Jay

Good luck with your tranny

Well.....all is good now. I changed the filter and pan gasket (it was leaking apparently) and put in new fluid and it runs fine now, no slipping. I also put in some seal reconditioner b/c I figure it has almost 87K miles, it needs. Anyway I am really relieved. Thanks for all your info.