coil over dissapointment

dohc v6

i put the c/o in about a year ago a and

1. they are very loud .

2. the struts are not covered so all the water and debris hits them

3. my sleeves are waring the actual metal is wearing

does any body else have any problems or am i the only one

i fucking hate mine! they are so loud and the set screw was frozen in place. I had to get the torch out to lower my car when i got the ST springs. If there was a way i could get a refund i would. Worst thing i ever bought for my car. The only plus is that it lowered the rear. I think he uses too stiff a spring for most people. I barely ever drive my car anymore and it is still to stiff, it gets old driving it around here with the bounching and creaking. The creaking drives me absolutly fuckin berzerk. Later Jay

has anyone Tried any Other Struts {besides KYBs} with there coil overs?

"in godly voice" are you nuts?! KYB's are the best made.

I think most of us including me had thier head up kyb's ass when everyone started talking about kyb's

has anyone Tried any Other Struts {besides KYBs} with there coil overs?

"in godly voice" are you nuts?! KYB's are the best made.

I think most of us including me had thier head up kyb's ass when everyone started talking about kyb's

IM just saying that having KYB's it the main Reason that your cars are so Harsh Ridding

I have Kyb's in the STE and well its all good there ...and well there are kyb's in the skylark too....but I will not ever put them in a daily Driver...ever again as for the Grand am GT im going to get replacement Delcos because the Kybs SUCK on the Hwy......by the time your done with a 50 mile Trip the suspension is so Hard (bah boom bah boom) on every crack in the Road....

Yes they are awsome for Street Racers and the guy who wants to out corner a Vette

and I will never put gabrials in my cars either...

I put Kyb's in the ste because it spends more time at 100+ then it does below 30mph

so now back to my Question .... has anyone Tired other in with the coil overs to see if they ride better?

Guest TurboSedan

i personally don't like my rear coilovers either (mine are TDC not FFP). the rear spring can become completely unloaded during a sharp U-turn or pulling into a steep driveway. then when the car's weight comes back down it either makes a very loud noise when the spring seats ~or~ the spring may not seat correctly in the upper mount, which causes VERY LOUD horrible noises until you raise the car with a jack and lower it down while making sure the spring goes into the upper spring mount correctly. this problem doesn't happen all that often though. still fucking sucks.

i had the same problem with Jay concerning the set screw. i was careful not to overtighten it but when i went to lower the rear some more the thing was frozen in place and i stripped them (both sides). so now the coilovers are pretty much locked in place, virtually unadjustable unless i use two pipe wrenches....one to hold the threaded sleeve in place and the other to turn the lower spring mount/adjuster nut.

i want to ditch the TDC coilovers ASAP for the Birchmount monoleaf lowering spring!

So I have a Question.....Why would you not coat the screw set in Hydraulic oil so they dont freeze in place? other then the fact that it could turn on its own but I would think the cars weight would keep them in place.

Guest TurboSedan

the set screw has a nylon tip that presses against the threaded sleeve so it won't turn. the directions didn't say anything about coating the screw with oil or anti-sieze or anything like that, just to be careful not to overtighten it (which i was).

regardless........if your buying a set of coil-overs for $300+

they had better work properly

you shouldn't have to jimmy rig them every few months

and you shouldn't have to sacrifice ride comfort for a few inches of drop....

with all the talk in the last few weeks i think im hearing the FFP Coil-over market "bottom out"

:werd:

the directions didn't say anything about coating the screw with oil or anti-sieze or anything like that,

okay...but in your owners manual it says nothing about putting anti sieze on your lug nuts either but do you?

locking up was the First thing that came to mind when ppl where talking about the coil overs....was to add a antisieze or oil to keep them nimble

as for the wearing of the Strut is there anyway to get a shock protector in there with the strut so the Dirt and what not doesnt get into there?

and maybe they need to figure out a different bottom and top mounting system so they dont dislodge...

Guest TurboSedan

okay...but in your owners manual it says nothing about putting anti sieze on your lug nuts either but do you?

:roll: OK Justin go buy yourself a set of coilovers then....i'm SURE you'll be very happy with them. i myself have had the coilovers on the car for almost 70,000 miles & 3.5 years and i'm SICK of them.

i will be going with a factory engineered style rear monoleaf to lower my car....the only way to go IMO.

and no i don't use anti-sieze on my lug nuts :? do you?

:roll: OK Justin go buy yourself a set of coilovers then....i'm SURE you'll be very happy with them. i myself have had the coilovers on the car for almost 70,000 miles & 3.5 years and i'm SICK of them.

i will be going with a factory engineered style rear monoleaf to lower my car....the only way to go IMO.

I dont on my GP but I do on my Truck..

and IM not worried about putting coil overs on my car...being I DONT Drive it in the winter....lol....anyways Im not getting a set of coil overs...I was just asking if anyone has done that....Im going to get ther mono Drop Leaf

but I first need to get a new Driveway because my car scrapes now and its not even a steap Drive...I cant even park my lincoln in the Drive I would have to put it in the yard because the bumper scrapes every time...

When I spoke with FFP about coilovers, I asked if they were compatible with other struts, because I don't want KYB's in my nicer TGP. I have them in the 1st one I bought, and while they made a remarkable difference from the ones I replaced, which I think were the stock ones at around 140k :lol: , I think they are too stiff as Jeorge has said. Not for a comfortable ride. My sensatracs that came on my low mileage TGP are awesome, that car rides like it's on air. I can't wait to lower it some and install the trailing arms and leaf spring, along with STB's. Anyway, they were not sure if they are compatible, because they had designed them to work with KYB's only. I would assume that all replacement struts are around the same diameter on the collar, but we all know what happens when you assume, so I will not be doing that. I have almost brand new Sensatracs on the rear of my TGP and I don't want to replace them, seems like a waste of money..

I am staying away from coilovers simply because of the noise complaints that I have heard. I wouldn't be driving with them in the winter time, but they still could seize and I don't want to deal with that. I just want to lower it to the height I want and then be done with it.

I may do coilovers on my 1st TGP when I restore it.. but that will be a few years at least...

Guest TurboSedan
I would assume that all replacement struts are around the same diameter on the collar, but we all know what happens when you assume, so I will not be doing that.

i ran into this problem when i installed my rear TDC coilovers. i had ordered them without the KYBs, and was just going to reuse my old struts. well that didn't work out because the strut body on the old strut was just slightly bigger in diameter, and there was no way i could get the sleeve over the strut body. so i had to order some KYB's from tirerack.com before i could install them.

i myself like the KYBs, i think they are pretty comfortable.

I like mine too but I would not put them in anything that I was planning on Driving all the time...

I know when I go for Drives by the end of 50-60 miles they are Harsh then have another 50-60 miles back home.. They handle great would even say awsome but...they just get to hard on the freeway with the groves...

well that didn't work out because the strut body on the old strut was just slightly bigger in diameter, and there was no way i could get the sleeve over the strut body.

I've seen on the FFP directions that the collar of the KYB's must be ground down to get the sleeve over them. That may have been your solution, but as in any modifications, it would void the warranty of the strut. I have considered coilovers because of the flexibilty and the ease of installation, but I am still going with the leaf for this car.

Guest TurboSedan
well that didn't work out because the strut body on the old strut was just slightly bigger in diameter, and there was no way i could get the sleeve over the strut body.

I've seen on the FFP directions that the collar of the KYB's must be ground down to get the sleeve over them. That may have been your solution, but as in any modifications, it would void the warranty of the strut. I have considered coilovers because of the flexibilty and the ease of installation, but I am still going with the leaf for this car.

yeah i had to grind down the lip on the KYBs a very small amount....IIRC it took me less than 10 minutes with a hand file. the old struts were a different story. it wasn't the lip that needed to be ground down (although i tried that)....it was the body of the strut itself that was too big.

regardless........if your buying a set of coil-overs for $300+

they had better work properly

you shouldn't have to jimmy rig them every few months

and you shouldn't have to sacrifice ride comfort for a few inches of drop....

with all the talk in the last few weeks i think im hearing the FFP Coil-over market "bottom out"

$450+!!!! :shock:

I dont on my GP but I do on my Truck..

and IM not worried about putting coil overs on my car...being I DONT Drive it in the winter....lol....anyways Im not getting a set of coil overs...I was just asking if anyone has done that....Im going to get ther mono Drop Leaf

but I first need to get a new Driveway because my car scrapes now and its not even a steap Drive...I cant even park my lincoln in the Drive I would have to put it in the yard because the bumper scrapes every time...

i don't drive mine in the winter either, but the screw still froze up. If you knew me you'd know what i am talking about, i paid a fuckload for body work and paint work, i avoid potholes and tiny puddles and they still suck. Later Jay

So is there a difference between the KYB GR2's and the KYB's that FFP was selling with the kit? Only because I want to get a set of struts for my car, and it's a daily driver. I don't want it to feel like I have gabriels on (aka solid-struts)

So is there a difference between the KYB GR2's and the KYB's that FFP was selling with the kit? Only because I want to get a set of struts for my car, and it's a daily driver. I don't want it to feel like I have gabriels on (aka solid-struts)

remember you have to take into account the springs you are using, Mike from FFP IMO uses too stiff a spring for the c/o's