Subwoofer ideas

Jcrow

Does anyone have a ported sub box? sealed? Mine has ports in the top and i'm dying to extend them through the rear shelf to the interior. Just wondering if anyone has done this?

Also how many people have the subs facing the rear? Mine go to the front, but I hear its better pointing to the rear. Dont know where I would mount the amps though.

I have my box ported and tuned to 35hz. but it is also 12.5 cubic feet net.

You could make the vent go through the rear deck but you would have to rebuild the box, just extending it will mess up the sound.

Post what kind of sub(s) you have and I'll help you out.

Its an MTX box with MTX subs. It had tweeters in the front so I removed them and put em in the rear shelf.

The ports are cardboard tubes. I understand that changing the length or diameter of them will affect them. I was planning to cut them free and slide them up, so as not to change the length. Doing this will make the internal size of the box bigger though.

oh yeah, there 10's.

Also the way the ports are now, they blow up at the 6x9's causing them to distort, so I duct taped the bottom of the 6x9's to prevent this

:shock: This wouldn't happen to be like a crumby Best Buy bandpass box would it? I've never heard of tweeters in a sub box.

In bandpass boxes you can't move the ports at all or it will throw it out of whack.

I just need to know what model MTX sub you have so I can draw you a nice vented box like mine :D, if you don't mind building your own, all you need is a jigsaw, $30, and a tape measure.

:shock: This wouldn't happen to be like a crumby Best Buy bandpass box would it? I've never heard of tweeters in a sub box.

At Best Buy, I have never sold any "crumpy" bandbass box's with tweeters in it.

Its an older box, not bandpass. I got it used and it fits perfectly between the wheelwells, even the carpet matches on it. I immediately blew out the subs, so I just replaced em with new mtx (road thunder?)

I use other speakers for the highs.

I dont want to build a new box, just wondering if it would help or hurt the sound to run the ports up through the rear shelf

• 5 months later...

if you make a box that fits tight into your trunk, you can get away with facing them forward and sounding good... especially if you have the pass thru rear armrest like i did.

gap%20pic2.jpg

i took the door out of the pass thru and pinned up some speaker cloth i got from a fabric store to hide the box, yet allow the sound to pass though.

201055_80_full.jpg

raised from the dead. :wink:

Its an MTX box with MTX subs. It had tweeters in the front so I removed them and put em in the rear shelf.

The ports are cardboard tubes. I understand that changing the length or diameter of them will affect them. I was planning to cut them free and slide them up, so as not to change the length. Doing this will make the internal size of the box bigger though.

oh yeah, there 10's.

Also the way the ports are now, they blow up at the 6x9's causing them to distort, so I duct taped the bottom of the 6x9's to prevent this

I had the same problem with my 6x9's. I blew 2 sets doing that so I just removed them totally and left the holes open for the air to flow into the cabin and its much louder.

The trick with pointing the subs forward is that if you dont totally seal off around the sub boxwhen aiming forward you can get alot of a cancelation, and you will actually have less bass.

The trick with pointing the subs forward is that if you dont totally seal off around the sub boxwhen aiming forward you can get alot of a cancelation, and you will actually have less bass.

yeah, that's exactly what i avoided by making it pretty much form fit to the trunk... then stuffing stuff around the edge to seal it up.