'95 3100 tickin like a clock

95 BLKDOUT Drop Top

ok heres the problem, my 95 cs 3100 just started this light tickin noise. I first noticed it yesterday after noon (x-mas) when I was lettin it run to warm it up. It had been runnin for a good 10-15 minutes and as i was about to get in i noticed this faint tickin noise. I thought nothing of it a pulled off on my way. Drivin down the road it didnt go away, infact it got worse. fortunately my girlfriends house (my desination) was only like 3 miles away so i didnt drive too far but it was makin this noise the whole way there and the whole way back. Im thinkin the oil needs to be changed badly, it hasnt been changed since like june but it hasnt been driven that much since then but im not sure if thats the problem because the oil level is fine. I hope its nothin major. PLEASE HELP

yea you might wanna change the oil...but then again i'm a meticulous oil nazi :lol:

i do know that when it's cold outside, for the first minute or so sometimes my cutty ticks. However, that valve tick generally goes away after another minute or so. It's nothing major in my case, as it is a GM problem that has been given no solution, because it doesn't harm the car. That may be what your problem is, i'm not sure.

It hasn't been changed since JUNE?? How many miles have you put on it since then?

It doesn't sound like the typical GM tick, as its doing it once it warmed up. Check the oil dude.

Are you using a Fram oil filter? Frams are notorious for making the "GM Lifter Tick" even worse.

Switch to a Purolator PurOne when you change the oil, and change it soon!!!

Otherwise, most GM pushrod motors normally make the ticking noise, especially when it's cold outside, so it's nothing to be alarmed about...

Mike, I kno the tickin that ur talkin about that happens when u first start it, mine does that too but it goes away after a minute or so, this tickin WAS stayin with the engine. On my way to work yesterday it did it but it didnt happen at all on my way home from work. the car had been sittin in the parkin lot for 7 hours gettin snowed on so i dont kno what could have happened between the time i got there and the time i left. The car got stuck in the ice tryin to back it into a parkin spot so it was revvin to red line alot when i got there tryin to get it unstuck but other than that i have no clue. Im gonna go get that oil changed this mornin and ill update after i get back. keep in mind its been like sub-zero temps over night for the last week and i havnt been able to get the car in the garage for like 4 nights (due to family blockin up the driveway) so that could have somethin to do with it

Update: Got the engine flushed, radiator flushed, filter, the whole 9... it seemed to have gotten less frequent. it only happens sometimes now but its still there. im startin to notice it only happens when your off the throttle and the engine is deceloratin, Plugs and wires maybe? im baffled but i kno the wires and plugs havnt been change in AT LEAST a year and a half, im gonna get that done on thursday and then ill update after that. I love the great helpful people on w-body.com, ive solved countless problems from advice from you people, thanx alot

I have a 93 cutty and my car jus started that same sound today. It started runnin very rough yesterday so I check all the fluids. The Trans fluid was a lil low so I topped it off. Everything else was fine, I did the oil about 3,000 miles ago so it's due for a change, but it can't be that, hittin the 3,000 mile mark jus wouldn't make the engine tick. Well today the engine was still runnin rough and after I got in my neighborhood after work I went to the store. I come out and start the car it sounds like a rough runnin harley with a loud pinging tick. and I was out of the car for 10 minutes and it jus had a good freeway run so it was pretty warmed up. After I let it warm up again it was still doing it. I think the car is ready for the junk yard.....I was offered a thunderbird for $400, all it needs is taillight covers. There is my sad story

You guys sure you aren't talking about the notorious piston slap associated with these motors??? Mine slapped like a B**CH when it was cold!!! It's a "normal" thing according to GM.

You guys sure you aren't talking about the notorious piston slap associated with these motors??? Mine slapped like a B**CH when it was cold!!! It's a "normal" thing according to GM.

gm pushrods have a tick?!?!??!?!?

gm pushrods have a tick?!?!??!?!?

no way mine didn't just tick for the first minute or so this morning in the cold weather... :wink:

This isn't the same motor as your car, but I dug this up in my box of repair bills and stuff relating to the car:

http://members.shaw.ca/subject2change/lumina/gm%20recall%20letter.GIF

My car has been doing that since I got it, asnd since this letter says it won't hurt anything I'm just used to it, lol, it sounds like a diesel engine idling in the car when cold for like 30 secs!

- Jeff L.

UPDATE: Bad news, that god aufull tickin is a thrown rod or or somethin deep inside the engine thats never gonna go away, infact its only gonna get worse, whatever it is its major and ill need a new engine for my baby to be back to normal. thats where the good news comes in, this gives me a good reason to do the 3100 to 3400 swap that i been wantin to do for a while. I havnt had the car professionally checked out yet so im not 100% sure but my close friend who will be graduatin from mechanics school in may looked at it and told me so im quite sure. ill be sure tomorrow. so now im lookin for a 3400 at a good price

UPDATE: Bad news, that god aufull tickin is a thrown rod or or somethin deep inside the engine thats never gonna go away, infact its only gonna get worse, whatever it is its major and ill need a new engine for my baby to be back to normal. thats where the good news comes in, this gives me a good reason to do the 3100 to 3400 swap that i been wantin to do for a while. I havnt had the car professionally checked out yet so im not 100% sure but my close friend who will be graduatin from mechanics school in may looked at it and told me so im quite sure. ill be sure tomorrow. so now im lookin for a 3400 at a good price

if it's a rod that things f*cked dude. sorry to hear that but a swap would be fun :D

yeah a swap would be great. im lookin forward to the extra power. Jeremy, what all do you have on ur cutty? im diggin the blacked out tail lights and do you have a lowerin kit on it?