Where Were they Converted?

DOHCRagtopguy

They were built and designed as convertibles by GM.

The original 50 convertibles that were built in 1988 (Pace Car replicas) were converted by Cars & Concepts.

• 4 years later...

I actually did some research into this question about 10 years ago. I was told by Olds that all of the convertibles were made in Doraville by Cars and Concepts. Cars and Concepts had a shop right there on site, and when convertibles came down the assembly line, then at a certain point, they were pulled off and went to the convertible shop. Then, they went back on the main line. When the Cutlass Convertible was cancelled, C&C went out of business.

I have info that shows that as a minimum... C&C did the pace car ones in Brighton Mi. (I have todouble check that for certain) I'd say 52 actual built cars according to the info but I don';t want to say that the number is definite... theortically 2 pace cars and 50 replicas.

Also, I was told that each convertible is supposed to have a Cars & Concepts identification tag on it somewhere, usually on the driver's door where the GM build date identification sticker is. I was never able to find anything like that on my '92. (and I bought mine brand new from a GM dealer).

Also, I was told that each convertible is supposed to have a Cars & Concepts identification tag on it somewhere, usually on the driver's door where the GM build date identification sticker is. I was never able to find anything like that on my '92. (and I bought mine brand new from a GM dealer).

I think the top mechanism might say that itself somewhere.

all convert's started out as coupes.the cars spent alot of time going back and forth to become a vert

the 88s especially they were shipped to brighton and built and then repainted again after all the body work! those were actually made as coupes and then got shaved.

the 90-95's probably never actually had hard tops installed... after all the windshield header is vert only. I'm sure they did not build a full coupe, then go about and waste all the glass to turn it into a vert. but supposing... they could have bulit a coupe body, then reinforced the rocker panel area, Then shaved the roof and hacked in the vert windshield header panel. BUT alot of vert only metal panels were welded to the car in places they could only have been if GM knew the car was to be a vert from minute one.

BUT alot of vert only metal panels were welded to the car in places they could only have been if GM knew the car was to be a vert from minute one.

Exactly. Many of these pieces are spot-welded in and are integral parts of the unibody structure as though they were installed on the assembly line. If they ever left the GM plant during assembly, it was probably just to have the tops installed. There is no C&C sticker in my vert's door jambs either.

I know Camaros/Firebirds from the 80's and early 90's were done this way as well. Nissan 240SX convertibles as well. Started life as coupes and then got hacked.