Added spoiler... now my trunk won't stay open.

KingArthur

Added the spoiler and now there's to much weight on the trunk lid. How do I adjust the spring to hold the extra weight of the spoiler? or do I need to get the spring from the other car?

i had a problem when i bought my car with the spoiler weighing it down, climb in the trunk wit a pair of vice grips and adjust the rods, its a royal pain, but it makes a ton of difference

Can those rod be replaced?

Added the spoiler and now there's to much weight on the trunk lid. How do I adjust the spring to hold the extra weight of the spoiler? or do I need to get the spring from the other car?

Which way to bend the rods?

i forget which ones have to go up, its been awhile, id check but my cars in the shop, prety much get in and start playing around, thats what i did, just be sure you don't loosen the wrong one and seal yourself in the trunk when the lid comes crashing down... don't ask me how i know

i forget which ones have to go up, its been awhile, id check but my cars in the shop, prety much get in and start playing around, thats what i did, just be sure you don't loosen the wrong one and seal yourself in the trunk when the lid comes crashing down... don't ask me how i know

sorry man :smilielol: :smilielol:

Get in there on your back and you will see different settings for the ends of the spring rods. I believe there are 3 possible notches they can sit in, just go up on them until it works right.

... bend the rods.. :roll:

"bend the rods" bad wording on my behalf, i'm just re-reading that. well there are differnt adjustments on either side, 3 on each side, MOVE (not bend) the rod into one of the other posisitions

becareful if you try to adjust the tention yourself... i tried to do it and the damn thing slipped and it scared the piss out of me.

Same thing happened to my cousin and his Integra. He let out a little yelp :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol2: :lol2: Thats the best laugh I've had in a while.

If it did that to me I'ed part it out too.

Jud

• 3 months later...
Get in there on your back and you will see different settings for the ends of the spring rods. I believe there are 3 possible notches they can sit in, just go up on them until it works right.

... bend the rods.. :roll:

Got side tracked on another part of the car, but back to the trunk again. My first attempt to move the spring it popped loose and the trunk slammed down on my legs...Ouch! Now I got it back in its spot. Right now the spring is in the middle notch. To make the trunk stay up. Do I move the spring to the top notch or move them to the bottom.

They Lumina I got the spoiler from was set in the middle notch also. That makes me wonder it the springs from the Euro Lumina were stronger and theres nothing I can do for the trunk.

had the same problem. get a piece on conduit pipe and make a slight L shaped bend in it and move the spring ... worked for me :D

Are you saying you changed notches. If so, did you go up or down?

For safety's sake before someone gets entombed:

Always put a strip of duct tape over your trunk latch while you're lying in there.

The tape will keep the trunk from latching you in. :wink:

had the same problem. get a piece on conduit pipe and make a slight L shaped bend in it and move the spring ... worked for me :D

Are you saying you changed notches. If so, did you go up or down?

up I believe :thumbsup:

just be sure you don't loosen the wrong one and seal yourself in the trunk when the lid comes crashing down... don't ask me how i know

:smilielol: :lol: :smilielol: roflmao! Chris,

Who got ya out? :wink: Ya, put ductape over the latch when adjusting the rods, so you dont get sealed in... :lol:

Today I tried to move the spring to the top notch and was unsuccessful. I couldn't figure out a way to safety move it up. I tried some vise grips but the handle hit the top of the rear deck before I could move the spring. If someone has a better way of moving them let me know.

But on a good note... I did figure a way to get the trunk lid to stay up. I cut some of the rubber stoppers that are on the arms of the lid. That allowed the lid to go higher and stay up but when I add my electric trunk release I need it to pop up.

Service manual says to get a metal pipe and put it on the end of the spring.

I remember messing with those springs, my car's rear deck has a dent in it as a result! I didn't have a metal pipe handy.

A prop rod to hold up the trunk wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Today I tried to move the spring to the top notch and was unsuccessful. I couldn't figure out a way to safety move it up. I tried some vise grips but the handle hit the top of the rear deck before I could move the spring. If someone has a better way of moving them let me know.

But on a good note... I did figure a way to get the trunk lid to stay up. I cut some of the rubber stoppers that are on the arms of the lid. That allowed the lid to go higher and stay up but when I add my electric trunk release I need it to pop up.

use the pipe -- :D

• 4 weeks later...

ok, I changed my trunk lid this weekend, and I am having the same problem. I adjusted the spring bars, as was suggested, but that did not work at all. Arethey supposed to be on the highest level or the lowest level?