Added spoiler... now my trunk won't stay open.

KingArthur

ok, I changed my trunk lid this weekend, and I am having the same problem. I adjusted the spring bars, as was suggested, but that did not work at all. Arethey supposed to be on the highest level or the lowest level?

I got a piece of 3/8 stainless tubing, bent the tip at a 45 degree angle and

move the spring up one. That only helped a little. The thing that helped my trunk stay up was that I cut those rubber stoppers about half. That allowed the lid to go higher and stay. Be careful not to cut the rubber too far, you might cut the rivet the holds it.

I compared the spring from a original car that had a spoiler and found that the hinge that pushes the trunk lid is longer which put more tention on the spring.

so can the spring be fixed, or do i have to replace it with the longer spring?

You will have to get the whole spring assembly from the original car that has the spoiler. I believe it is possible to do, but man... you have got to be careful. I had that thing pop on me while I was in the trunk. The lid came down on my legs...hard. Not only that, when the spring popped it made a big spark. You can get hurt, so watch yourself. Good luck.

I had to change the ones on my Lumina after I added the spoiler, I took them from a Euro that had one. Even on the highest settings both sides mine wouldn't hold, a lot of fun that was.. I believe they are a slightly different diameter.?

• 6 years later...
becareful if you try to adjust the tention yourself... i tried to do it and the damn thing slipped and it scared the piss out of me.

Totally got on w-body.com searching for an easy way to do this because of YOUR CAR, MARK....hahahaha I'm sick of the old golf club trick. Time for me to take my chances myself and see if I can make the base Lumina spring into a Z34 spoiler-capable spring :lol::lol:

Totally got on w-body.com searching for an easy way to do this because of YOUR CAR, MARK....hahahaha I'm sick of the old golf club trick. Time for me to take my chances myself and see if I can make the base Lumina spring into a Z34 spoiler-capable spring :lol::lol:

I used a very steady hand, a helper, and a vice grip tightened really hard to move mine. It now holds the weight of a spoiler and a 100% coverage layer of sound deadening.

That's awesome. Not to wimp out on all this, but I do have access to a Z34 trunk deck from my black Z34...should I just pull those springs off to put on the sedan Mark sold me that he put a Z34 wing on?

That's awesome. Not to wimp out on all this, but I do have access to a Z34 trunk deck from my black Z34...should I just pull those springs off to put on the sedan Mark sold me that he put a Z34 wing on?

yes. the springs on spoiler equipped cars are thicker.

I used teh pipe trick to change the springs myself, as i installed a spoiler on my old 92, taken from the DOA 91 euro, and had to swap springs, too.

Edited by Crazy K

• 2 weeks later...