Climate Control Swap

terryk2003

ok guys, i have a '97 Cutlass with the basic knob climate controls...i'm wondering how hard it would be to swap it to the DUAL CLIMATE CONTROL!?... :roll: ...i've been told its not a DIRECT SWAP, but what all is involved?...what would it take to swap it?....what other parts do i need besides the controls themselves?...wiring diagrams?...thanx in advance...

I love how ppl leave like 3 hours for someone to respond.

Davis has done it, if he doesn't see this, you can PM him.

sorry... :roll: ...actually, it was like half way down the page, i just wanted to bump it up!...but, thanx for the info :wink:

and i want this:

climatecontrol.jpg

and does THIS go with ^!?:

passclimate.jpg

yes it does....

OK..thanx for that info!...and i hope you don't mind that i borrowed your pic!?... :roll: ...anywayz...are there any other pieces to this climate control setup that i don't know about!?... :?

OK..thanx for that info!...and i hope you don't mind that i borrowed your pic!?... :roll: ...anywayz...are there any other pieces to this climate control setup that i don't know about!?... :?

I don't mind at all....

FWIW: if you look for the parts to try to swap and you only find that switch in tan, get it and I will swap you for the charcoal one.....

....I don't know all the parts that you will need, but I do know that there is an exterior temp. sensor that you would need too....

...besides the parts, i would assume you would have a wiring nightmare...but I would defintely be kool to say you did it yourself...

anywayz...are there any other pieces to this climate control setup that i don't know about!?... :?

uhhhhhhhh.....probably wiring issues..........

well, OBVIOUSLY :lol: ...that was kinda the POINT of this thread...trying to learn what parts i need and how to wire it up!...i just ment, are there any other mechanical parts?...like, i didnt even notice that control for the pass. side in the door panel until about an hour ago... :oops:

and, FWIW: Jeremy, my interior is TAN!! :wink:

Judging from what I uncovered on my old 92 LeSabre, you'll have to swap out the whole airbox with one from a car that had the auto/dual system. The LeSabre had completely different wiring, actuators, and head units between the manual and auto/dual systems. I say find a factory service manual and do a bit of research. Probably not impossible, but it'll be a ton of work to git-r-done...

Judging from what I uncovered on my old 92 LeSabre, you'll have to swap out the whole airbox with one from a car that had the auto/dual system. The LeSabre had completely different wiring, actuators, and head units between the manual and auto/dual systems. I say find a factory service manual and do a bit of research. Probably not impossible, but it'll be a ton of work to git-r-done...

are you saying the whole heater box with the heater core and everything else is different!?... :roll: ...if that's that case, then i guess that would pretty much put an END to my wonderful idea :? unless i could find all the parts CHEAP :roll: ...if anyone knows, please let me know! :wink:

Not sure if you'd have to remove the heater core and evaporator or not, but yes that's what I'm talking about. Unless somehow the actuators can be easily swapped, ida know. This is something I was going to help stevezasycho out with on his Dark Warrior before it got wrecked (in case you didn't know, he was trying to get a 95 GP HVAC unit to work in his Loomie...) I told him he should pull the whole airbox out of a GP and compare it to his Loomie's airbox. That's probably the best place to start. Wiring might be another issue, that's where a factory service manual would come into play...

Not sure if you'd have to remove the heater core and evaporator or not, but yes that's what I'm talking about. Unless somehow the actuators can be easily swapped, ida know. This is something I was going to help stevezasycho out with on his Dark Warrior before it got wrecked (in case you didn't know, he was trying to get a 95 GP HVAC unit to work in his Loomie...) I told him he should pull the whole airbox out of a GP and compare it to his Loomie's airbox. That's probably the best place to start. Wiring might be another issue, that's where a factory service manual would come into play...

well, i LOVE wiring shit up...so, as long as i know what to hook where, thats no problem :wink: ...BUT, if i gotta swap the whole heater BOX, that could be a problem, i dunno...again, it just depends on if i can find the parts, and how much their gonna cost me... :? ...i just thought this would be a fun project that i could do without spending lots of $...i have all kinds of shit i wanna do to the car, but don't really have the cash to do it...i get bored easy...so i just need something to play around with...but, AGAIN...if anyone has any info, let me know!! :!:

ALSO, if anyone sees a auction with the parts i need to do this swap, PLEEEZE let me know!! :wink:

I already researched it. The wiring is a little more intense than doing the swap on the '88-94, and add on top of that the conversion to dual- heater controls, the heater box under the heater core. I AM going to do it, but I have also a trick up my sleeve.

Now what I really want to do is swap the dual digital controls into a pre-'95 car :)

as if that wouldn't be a bitch and three quarters..

swap it into mine too.

i'll buy you a pizza or something.

ok...i gotz another question!...does anyone know where the temperature sensor is INSIDE the car!?...is it in the dash!?...cause there is a small hole in the center of my dash...right by the windshield...could that be where the temperature sensor goes!? :?

ok...i gotz another question!...does anyone know where the temperature sensor is INSIDE the car!?...is it in the dash!?...cause there is a small hole in the center of my dash...right by the windshield...could that be where the temperature sensor goes!? :?
That's where the ambient light sensor goes for the Daytime Running Lamps, which are mandatory in Canada...

ohhhh...ok...i wasnt sure...a friend of mine said that in some of the cars the temp sensor is up there...to sense heat from sunlight and whatnot...so, does anyone know where the temp sensor IS then!?...

See the little "grille" looking thing just to the right of your instrument cluster, on the black housing? There ya go.

its in the heat duct!? :shrug: :roll:

*sigh* Don't think "out of the box" . Just look on your drivers side dash, the big black surround, there will be 3 little cutouts looking like a "grille" next to the instrument cluster. The sensor will sit right behind that.