Is an exhaust cutout much benifit to our cars?

SleeperRed90TGp

Guest TurboSedan
Already have 2 1/2 back to the Y, high flow cat and stock mufflers.

Jud

i'd think you'd see more of a benefit than others since you have a bigger turbine, but on a stock TGP turbo the .68 A/R turbine is probably more of an issue/bottle neck.

I have no cat and magnaflow mufflers, but I'm still considering putting a cutout before where the cat used to be because I think it will help spool-up (not that I need it being fully spooled at 1800rpm already) and topend a little. I know when I took the exhaust off the TGP Coupe completely it hauled ass, so I would definateley try it. It should especially help with the bigger turbo. Not only that, but these cars sound really good with no exhaust on them IMO.

Shawn

I had a "cut out" if you wanna call it that, the exhaust was chopped well before the cat and then i just welded some piping on so that the exhaust would exit out the side of the car and not right under it. I really liked the sound, its cool when you let off the gas and u can hear the turbo wind down. And under full throttle acceleration.....I think you can imagine what that would sound like lol. I would say do it for sure!

Well one thing I can tell is most of you guys like the sound of open exhust on a TGP. :) I'll wait and see. Thanks for the input. From what you all say it shouldn't hurt performance. Quicker spooling I don’t really want. I am trying now to get the boost down on launch.

Got the cutout yesterday. Don't know If I will get it on by Sunday (track day)which might be a good thing. Run without and get a base line and run again with it if I get a chance this year and we will all know what difference it makes.

Got the walbro pump so I have to get that in before I run. Damn I hate puting a pump in. :twisted: Of course the warrenty expired on the old one. Only 2 years old and 5k miles, But I have to admit it pumped alot of gas.

As for using a cut out at the track. Maybe in strictly stock you can't but for our cars there is no stock class. NHRA never got the blueprints for our motors so there in a modified class along with the hot rods. :cry:

Jud

Guest TurboSedan
Where did you find that Josh? That is pretty cool! :shock: Wonder what the emissons station would say about it here in Colorado? :roll:

my brother found it while browsing the ATP website last night. could the emission station say anything about it? you could simply say it's used for off road/track use only. i'm not sure...here in WY there is no emission testing at all.

another would be going off the exhuast back pressure.

when it gets to 20psi of where ever it would make a difference have a MBC open and releave it(then it wouldn't open till the rpms/flow gets high enough. it would scare people in a race when your sounding quiet then get loud at 4000rpm or whenever back pressure builds.

marcus

Yea that vacuum one would be nice. I discarded that and the motor driven cutouts, 1 to expensive and 2 Possible problems down the road 3 It comes out at 90*. Mine was 27 and I got a piece of shit. (summit P/N sum g4821) The hole for the outlet was not cutout to the size of the outlet pipe. Not even close. If you want a 2" outlet than thats about what I got. One end of the main pipe is necked down to 2 1/4 so it would have to be cutoff before installation. Maybe you get what you pay for but I could have made one by accident better than this. It's going back. :twisted:

Jud

another would be going off the exhuast back pressure.

when it gets to 20psi of where ever it would make a difference have a MBC open and releave it(then it wouldn't open till the rpms/flow gets high enough. it would scare people in a race when your sounding quiet then get loud at 4000rpm or whenever back pressure builds.

marcus

Its funny but your thinking is very inventive and what is lacking too often when overly confident book-smart engineers design things. I have thought about it this way, when the intake boost achieves your setpoint of lets say 10-12 psi, any excess exhaust prior to the turbo is vented into the downpipe allowing a sort of control balance of intake boost setting to exhaust backpressure settings/relieving. I did a test like this on a TGP and it did work, I was still able to achieve boost ramp up and the intake boost settings I wanted while venting off backpressure prior to the turbo. This is similar to a wastegate but goes beyond that in managing exhaust backpressure problems, this venting of BP and the wastegate do have some similar effects but are not totally the same in practice, i.e. real world applications. And yes it was faster, especially at higher rpms :) .

Jeff M