• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HokemBokem

• GnatGoSplat

• maybe2fast

• jeremy

Sort of back on subject... not a W-body dash, but I like it!

http://gnatgosplat.homestead.com/files/90-93RivieraDigitalDash.jpg

That reminds me of the '91-ish Toronado Trofeo dash. I almost like the Trofeo's gauges more than mine. Plus it has the color touch screen for climate and radio controls. It has more buttons than my Cutlass and even beats my brother's mono-color touch screen in his Reatta. Those Trofeo's must have had the coolest GM interior I've ever seen.

1e_4.JPG

Guest TurboSedan
Cutlass-116.jpg

The old girl's still got it. Should have tried it in 4th though, 5th took a looong time.

i can only run 4th gear up to 100mph! how high have you gone in 4th?

116mph is as high as i can go in my Cutlass too. i never could hit 117mph because of the governor. i think i could have hit 120mph if it was't for that though.

btw, i LOVE the Cutlass digi dash! that's one of the main things i miss about driving that car. that might be one reason i didn't like the HUD so much....i'd rather look at that cool instrument panel instead!

my Lebaron GTS analog dash is pretty boring but at least it goes up to 125mph.

Yup, the Toronado's color VIC is badass!

It was really ahead of its time. BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, VW, Audi, and Acura now have widescreen color TFT LCD Command Centers that work just like the color VIC did in the Toronado... although now they've added navigation. BMW calls it I-Drive. I'm not sure what other manufacturers call it.

People didn't like it then, and people don't like it now. I've read a few articles about how complicated and annoying it is to use I-Drive. I've seen reviews for Audi's that say their command center isn't as bad as I-Drive (but when people say "isn't as bad", they don't typically like it). As a gadget-loving geek, I'd still take it over the conventional dials any day!

I've read a few articles about how complicated and annoying it is to use I-Drive. I've seen reviews for Audi's that say their command center isn't as bad as I-Drive (but when people say "isn't as bad", they don't typically like it). As a gadget-loving geek, I'd still take it over the conventional dials any day!

I read the MT article talking about I-drive, and another car's system of touchscreen controls for things that knobs would be better and more efficient at. They hated it, and I would too. Think of driving a Grand Prix and having to change the temperature with a touchscreen. I guess the more expensive cars need a rationale to be that expensive...

I've read a few articles about how complicated and annoying it is to use I-Drive. I've seen reviews for Audi's that say their command center isn't as bad as I-Drive (but when people say "isn't as bad", they don't typically like it). As a gadget-loving geek, I'd still take it over the conventional dials any day!

I read the MT article talking about I-drive, and another car's system of touchscreen controls for things that knobs would be better and more efficient at. They hated it, and I would too. Think of driving a Grand Prix and having to change the temperature with a touchscreen. I guess the more expensive cars need a rationale to be that expensive...

Well, an automatic climate control is supposed to be "set it and forget it"!

I think most of these command centers actually have hard buttons like the Toronado VIC does. I think a VIC-like navigation/command center was optional in my parents' Maxima and it would have radio, trip computer, climate control, and navigation built into it, but each function would have their own separate physical buttons and knobs. Only using the same common display instead of separate small displays.

Pretty much just like Toronado's VIC... it has radio, climate control, compass, and trip computer built-in... about 15yrs ahead of everyone else.

Then again, like digital dashes, these command centers might go away as people rather have the basics :boring:

Well, an automatic climate control is supposed to be "set it and forget it"!

I think most of these command centers actually have hard buttons like the Toronado VIC does. I think a VIC-like navigation/command center was optional in my parents' Maxima and it would have radio, trip computer, climate control, and navigation built into it, but each function would have their own separate physical buttons and knobs. Only using the same common display instead of separate small displays.

Pretty much just like Toronado's VIC... it has radio, climate control, compass, and trip computer built-in... about 15yrs ahead of everyone else.

Then again, like digital dashes, these command centers might go away as people rather have the basics :boring:

Well, the temperature example was kind of a generalization. I missed the point, though, lol. I've never really liked touchscreens anyway.

Hey, at least when someone gets in your Cutlass, they'll go "Whoa, that's cool!!" rather than "Hey, my digital dash looks better than yours."

Toronado's VIC... it has radio, climate control, compass, and trip computer built-in... about 15yrs ahead of everyone else.

Plus full diagnostic capabilities for the engine. You can pull codes and I think you might even be able to read live values from it. Very cool stuff, but it's been ages since I've monkeyed with it. Also, the Reatta had a similar if not identical system.

Toronado's VIC... it has radio, climate control, compass, and trip computer built-in... about 15yrs ahead of everyone else.

Plus full diagnostic capabilities for the engine. You can pull codes and I think you might even be able to read live values from it. Very cool stuff, but it's been ages since I've monkeyed with it. Also, the Reatta had a similar if not identical system.

Yes, my brother's Reatta is about identical to the Trofeo's. It has a mono-chrome green display, not the color, but functionally it's almost the same. I haven't messed with it much, but it has a complex diagnostic mode that tells you ALL KINDS of stuff. I'll have to read up on his manual to find out all that it does. It's certianly nothing like I've seen in any car besides the Reatta, Trofeo, and some early 90's Riviera's.

Then GM analog clusters are the gayest!!! They don't offer accuracy at all. The speedo and tach on almost GM clusters (especially older ones) are not accurate at all. My TGP's analog speedometer was WAY off. I hooked a frequency generator up to the tach input and I think the tach is not accurate either.

That's funny.............of all the speedometers that I've GPS'ed (about 15 different cars now), the GM's are the most accurate of the lot (all analog BTW). And having played with a Tech II on 2 different cars (a GTP and a Beretta), neither tach was more than 120rpm off at ANY point on it's sweep.

Only thing that's "precise" about it is the tach moving at precisely the right time, but it doesn't necessarily display the incremental change with any precision.

And when you are driving hard, that IS what you want (at least you can account for some tach error by changing your shiftpoints).

So...........*I* still think digi clusters are gay :P