• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HokemBokem

• GnatGoSplat

• maybe2fast

• jeremy

I don't like the Beretta dash. I think Jeremy posted a pic before. It only has digital numbers for the speedo, no bargraph. I like the precision of the digital readout, but I also like the graphical representation of the bargraph.

Cutlass digital gauges cluster is by far the best cluster I've ever seen.

IIRC (its been 4 years since I've driven that Cutlass of mine), the tach and speedo graphs where actually kind slow.....I can remember hitting the rev limiter numerous times as I was running through the gears.......you had to shift before the tach actually came to the point you wanted.

I guess I don't understand how you guys find a 16 year old dash attractive.....oh well, I don't have to drive one. You do what you want. :P

I would post a pic of my speedometer........but its at either 107 mph or at zero (unplugged VSS) with the tach at a nice rpm...oh well.

The fastest i done in my 1988 CS was 136mph dowhill on a highway and engine sounded like it wanted to jump out of the car and couple days later i had to change alternator. Never did anything stupid like that again.
:shock:

I've had my 88' w/ 2.8 screaming around 110, I was keeping my eyes on the road cause with shitty struts and tires on a narrow road with hills its a bit challenging! I'd never do that again...

About a month before I retired my 88' I took my friend with me and tried to meet/break my limit, but I ran out of room at 90mph. I tried again but it wouldn't go past 84mph that day... and my fuel pump started making whining noises after that day :lol: .

I haven't tried yet with my 95.. I don't want to risk breaking anything, esp. blowing the intake gaskets (since they are supposidly a problem on the 3100s). It gets up to 90mph much quicker than my 2.8 did!

Also I miss the digital cluster from my 88'... I don't like analog. :cry:

I guess I don't understand how you guys find a 16 year old dash attractive.....oh well, I don't have to drive one. You do what you want. :P

Cuz it's a VFD panel and not a bunch of needles! You wouldn't want a needle dial on your stereo, would you?

Actually, except for cellphones and TV's, I think most 16yr old electronic are more attractive than their modern-day equivalents. You can probably guess what I like about this 16yr old home theater receiver.

Now, if they made a modern-day digital dash that's entirely a hires TFT color LCD panel, that would probably be an improvement. Maybe it would have a built-in trip computer and the whole thing is touch-sensitive. I'd buy that in a heartbeat!

Actually, except for cellphones and TV's, I think most 16yr old electronic are more attractive than their modern-day equivalents.

Now, if they made a modern-day digital dash that's entirely a hires TFT color LCD panel, that would probably be an improvement. Maybe it would have a built-in trip computer and the whole thing is touch-sensitive. I'd buy that in a heartbeat!

Shawn, hate to break it to you, but your old school man!!

Yeah, I remember Lexus dashes, they are pretty nice.

They're completely black and you can't see anything when it's off, right? And the needles seem to float? I seem to remember they were cool like that. It's been since the mid-90's when I last saw a Lexus dash so I might not be remembering it right.

Yeah, I remember Lexus dashes, they are pretty nice.

They're completely black and you can't see anything when it's off, right? And the needles seem to float? I seem to remember they were cool like that. It's been since the mid-90's when I last saw a Lexus dash so I might not be remembering it right.

You remembered correctly :) The numbers are a nice white and the needle is red. Everything else is black. Looks really good.

Actually, except for cellphones and TV's, I think most 16yr old electronic are more attractive than their modern-day equivalents. You can probably guess what I like about this 16yr old home theater receiver.

That reciever ain't that bad looking, but I'd have to disagree with most electronics from the 80s looking good! :roll:

Although, high-end components have always looked good... such as this Yamaha reciever http://www.yamaha.ca/av/Receivers/HTR_5790B.jsp although Yamaha hasn't really changed their look dramatically over the years, so their old stuff still looks good too.

Although, high-end components have always looked good... such as this Yamaha reciever http://www.yamaha.ca/av/Receivers/HTR_5790B.jsp although Yamaha hasn't really changed their look dramatically over the years, so their old stuff still looks good too.

Zzzzzzzzz :boring:

I'd rather have my 80's electronics any day. :lol:

Some things like DVD players I consider disposable and replace them every 6-months to a year. I've kept these 2 guys around for awhile though... just can't let go... although I probably should since they're old analog stuff and I don't have any analog sources anymore.

http://gnatgosplat.homestead.com/files/vintage-stereo.jpg

Top one is a Pioneer VSX-5000 my dad bought in '86. He gave it to me in '95, and I was pretty darn excited about it. The bottom one is a Technics SH-8046 "Computer Equalizer" that I begged my dad to buy for me when I was 12 (Christmas 1988). Big displays, tons of buttons! Not 1 empty square inch on their front panels, I love it!

There is just something WAY to late 80s early 90s about a digital dash.

Yep, it's great!!! That's what makes it unique, a brief moment in history when automakers were willing to experiment and try something different and high-tech, on the cutting edge of display panel technology. Turned out it was expensive and people were intimidated by it, so they reverted back to the old analog dash that dates back to what, the 1920's?

Hey, remember back in the 1980's when all the kids in elementary collected Swatch watches? I collected Casio databank watches, I loved the big dot-matrix LCDs! I'm a button and display panel loving geek. :read:

You can probably guess what I like about this 16yr old home theater receiver.

Awesome i have a VSX 9900S...and i love it

Old school powa!

old.jpg

I just wish i could still find a new remote for it :lol:

I need to dust

Just above it is my 12 year old Panasonic CD Player :wink: ...that thing will play uber scratched cds like it's nothing

Matt, that receiver is badass! I think it's from 91 or so, it's 2yrs newer than my 9500S which was an 89 model.

Sort of back on subject... not a W-body dash, but I like it!

90-93RivieraDigitalDash.jpg

I don't like the Beretta dash. I think Jeremy posted a pic before. It only has digital numbers for the speedo, no bargraph. I like the precision of the digital readout, but I also like the graphical representation of the bargraph.

that one was actually from a z-24, the beretta ones are all orange....

well i just jumped in but id have to say i liked the digi gauge in my friends 88 lebaron before it blew up, oh my car gets fixed tuesday im sure u remember i wrecked it, gnatgosplat does topcraft do a good job since thats were its goin

The only problem with digital dashes is that they are hard to read.

I'm not talking about when you are cruising down the road (a half-blind moron could read the big "98" in front of him for speed), but rather when you are trying to hit a shiftpoint while at the dragstrip or an autocross................I have yet to see a digi-cluster (outside of the Honda S2000) that a) can keep up with a fast reving car, and B) is at all easy to read under high acceleration.

Therefore, in MY opinion, digital dashes (the vast majority at least) are gay.............they just don't offer the precision or accuracy of a decent analog cluster.

Therefore, in MY opinion, digital dashes (the vast majority at least) are gay.............they just don't offer the precision or accuracy of a decent analog cluster.

Then GM analog clusters are the gayest!!! They don't offer accuracy at all. The speedo and tach on almost GM clusters (especially older ones) are not accurate at all. My TGP's analog speedometer was WAY off. I hooked a frequency generator up to the tach input and I think the tach is not accurate either. They're not particularly precise either. Only thing that's "precise" about it is the tach moving at precisely the right time, but it doesn't necessarily display the incremental change with any precision.

well i just jumped in but id have to say i liked the digi gauge in my friends 88 lebaron before it blew up, oh my car gets fixed tuesday im sure u remember i wrecked it, gnatgosplat does topcraft do a good job since thats were its goin

I had a friend's dad who liked TopCraft and they always took their Lexus there for body work. I wasn't impressed with them. When the garbage truck backed into my Cutlass, the guy at TopCraft said that they would just straighten it out, Bondo it, and use shims in the taillight so it sits where it's supposed to. SHIMS!!! I said screw that, and took it to Reliable. They said they'd replace the entire 1/4-panel and fix it right. Later on, the insurance company talked them into just doing a Bondo job. I wasn't happy with that, but at least they did weld in some new metal and didn't need to use shims! :lol:

I never realized that the info speed of a cluster determined its sexuality. Amazing :roll:

I never realized that the info speed of a cluster determined its sexuality. Amazing :roll:

Will_Ferrell_as_prezBush.jpg

"Ah believe that some of his figgers may be in-ak-ur-utt."

Will_Ferrell_as_prezBush.jpg

"Ah believe that some of his figgers may be in-ak-ur-utt."

MAYBE TOO FAST!!

LOL