to change or not to change (oil)

maybe2fast

Update: I did a fill of Mobil 1 and a big ol' PF52, driving for over a week: No leaks, no consumption, if anything the engine is a hair quieter when cold. And the best part is I don't have to change it till next year :lol:

Damn it brian, quit copying me! :lol: I did the same damn thing and have the same damn results. Engine doesn't ping around 3k rpm like it used to.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pitzel

• Brian P

• SigEpCutlass

• sl3196

Update: I did a fill of Mobil 1 and a big ol' PF52, driving for over a week: No leaks, no consumption, if anything the engine is a hair quieter when cold. And the best part is I don't have to change it till next year :lol:

Damn it brian, quit copying me! :lol: I did the same damn thing and have the same damn results. Engine doesn't ping around 3k rpm like it used to.

yeah, but I have a Mobil 1 oil cap on my engine now. :lol:

By the looks of the test bed...it is all highway miles (99% as they said). There is a HUGE difference between highway driving and what most do on here...short trips Mon-Fri and then street or drag racing on the weekends. Highway there is hardly any load on the engine...where racing has short bursts of extreme load and sometimes no cooling period whether they are turbo equiped or not.

I have been driving 220 miles per day 5 days a week for the last year. I decided to use Mobil 1 in my cars with an oil and filter change every 6500-7000 miles. With my now Turbo Dodge getting it first 14k miles on it with two oil changes so far. The first oil dropped from the motor (from previous owner) was like TAR! I was actually afraid that a quality clean synthetic oil would end up with a spun rod bearing in a short time. Contrary to my fear the next oil change after the Mobil 1 was dark but still looking good. I just changed my oil for the second time and it was almost clear gold in color on the stick...and still very good oil pressure on the gauge. I swear by Mobil 1 and long interval changes...but I am mostly highway with a few little light-to-light races once in a while... 8)

Guest TurboSedan

i have been meaning to start using Mobil 1 with my Turbo Dodge now that it has new gaskets and seals everywhere, along with a new Melling HV oil pump....but it's just so expensive! right now i use a Motorcraft FL-1A filter (it's BIG) and Valvoline 10w30. great oil pressure on the gauge and it stays clean.

Guest TurboSedan

i actually had an auto mechanics teacher in high school tell me that you cannot change your oil too often. he was a senile old fart though, so...yeah.

i change mine every 3000-5000 miles.

I use regular castrol and change it every 2500 miles. Am I doing more harm than good?

In the book "Maximum boost" They recomend changing the oil every 2000 miles!

I think I stated a theory earlier with respect to oil boil-off and the effect of oil volatility on things such as your oxygen sensors, PCV system, and your intake valves.

Changing oil too often is not only bad for the environment, but in some situations, could be bad for your car as well, ie: with respect to oxygen sensor contamination with the byproducts of ZDDP -- Zinc Dialkyl DiPhosphate, a chemical which is added to most motor oils to reduce friction. The recommendations in the owners manual, combined with a modern dino or synthetic motor oil, are very conservative with respect to the recommended 7500 mile oil change interval, and doing it much more often than that is just washing money and good oil down the drain. (hopefully not literally -- always dispose of used and contaminated fluids properly).

I have been changing my oil every 3000 miles but after reading this thread I think Im going to start waiting longer. Maybe every 4000-5000 miles? Im just using regular oil so that should still be safe right?

I have been changing my oil every 3000 miles but after reading this thread I think Im going to start waiting longer. Maybe every 4000-5000 miles? Im just using regular oil so that should still be safe right?

Yeah your 3800 will still last forever, even if you do 5000 mile changes intead of 3000 mile changes :D 10W-30 in Arizona, definitely.

I have been wondering if it's truly safe to keep synthetic oil in for 5000+ miles. IF IT IS, then I have a good reason to switch my car over to full synthetic. Since April of this year (when I bought the car) I went from 94,300 miles to 108,xxx miles! That's 14 thousand miles in a hair over 6 months. You can imagine I change my oil about once a month. So being I have 108k I might be taking a few risks changing to synthetic, BUT, the engine internals are clean (prior owner must have taken great care of it- when I removed the valve covers, the heads were still silver), and no oil leaks. Unless I'm convinced otherwise, I think my next oil change will be synthetic, OR my next oil change will be syn blend, then the oil change after that will be full synthetic.

What is the mileage on your engine? Something to consider for my car...:think:

I beat the everloving piss out of my 3.4 and run mobil 1 10W-30 year round (starts -40 degrees c w/o a block heater! :oops: but now I know it's broken... lol) and it'll burn maybe 1q of oil between 5000 mile oil changes, and that's 4500 miles of city driving, offroading, and towing....

so I'm doing pretty damn good, lol

just changed the water pump, and all is good again

mobil 1 is cheap and performs great, so I'll never run anything else (unless I can find royal purple for cheap, lol)

Yup, theres apparently a calender you can buy at Pep Boys that gives you a coupon for 3 quarts of Mobil1 for free when you buy 3 quarts. Turns out to be like $3/quart once you're out the door with Mobil1.

Not bad, eh? There is of course, free Valvoline Maxlife non-synth for people who browse eBayMotors. Just watch the banner ads.

I am sceptical because even after only 2500 miles, the engine feels smoother and quiter with an oil change. The same goes for my 350 blazer. When the blazer had a 305 the oil was always black, so I changed the oil every other day maybe about 5 or 6 times total, and after that the oil was always clean looking.

I have been wondering if it's truly safe to keep synthetic oil in for 5000+ miles. IF IT IS, then I have a good reason to switch my car over to full synthetic. Since April of this year (when I bought the car) I went from 94,300 miles to 108,xxx miles! That's 14 thousand miles in a hair over 6 months. You can imagine I change my oil about once a month. So being I have 108k I might be taking a few risks changing to synthetic, BUT, the engine internals are clean (prior owner must have taken great care of it- when I removed the valve covers, the heads were still silver), and no oil leaks. Unless I'm convinced otherwise, I think my next oil change will be synthetic, OR my next oil change will be syn blend, then the oil change after that will be full synthetic.

What is the mileage on your engine? Something to consider for my car...:think:

108,5xx when I did the oil change. I plan on converting the other 3100 in my household but the more I research it, that car doesn't get too much miles racked on it.

I beat the everloving piss out of my 3.4 and run mobil 1 10W-30 year round (starts -40 degrees c w/o a block heater! :oops: but now I know it's broken... lol) and it'll burn maybe 1q of oil between 5000 mile oil changes, and that's 4500 miles of city driving, offroading, and towing....

mobil 1 is cheap and performs great, so I'll never run anything else (unless I can find royal purple for cheap, lol)

did youjust say 10w30 in a 3.4dohc! :willynilly:

isnt that hard on some engine compontents? excpecialy since you said -40degrees! arnt you suppose to use lighter oil for that?

i have been running 5w50 mobil 1. i used to be stuipd and change all the oil every 3k but i have learned to just replace the filter and add 2 quarts. i burn 1 quart and the filter filling up. there is 5k miles on my oil now and looks ok. iwill change the filter again in another 1000 miles and replace 2 more quarts. i wonder how long i can do that without replaceing all the oil.

If you want to save some money, Esso XD-3 0W30 synthetic is supposed to be excellent oil for the money. $15 for 4L at your local Esso bulk distributor. Should be better for your engine as well compared to that 10W30 Mobil-1.

If you want to save some money, Esso XD-3 0W30 synthetic is supposed to be excellent oil for the money. $15 for 4L at your local Esso bulk distributor. Should be better for your engine as well compared to that 10W30 Mobil-1.

my Z sees redline almost everytime I drive it... :lol:

and honestly, 10W-30 is fine for -40, it's what my dad's always had in the suburban, and I have yet to notice any problems at all with it in the Z...