Burned Out Coils... UPDATE

buckethead

Ok, I got a call from my garage and it turns out i got a burnt out coil. I guess that caused the ignition computer to short out as well... I'm getting a price of about $850 to replace all 3 coils and the computer (mechanic says to replace the other 2 because they are in tough shape as well) is this a good price, or is there something cheap and easy i can do on my own.

I'm not sure (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) but I would think that it would be cheaper just to get some new coil packs and the computer and install them yourself. 850 seems a little high, but then again our cars arent exactly the most friendly when it comes to stuff in the engine bay either. SO i guess the easiest way to save the money is to do it yourself, beyond that you would probably be best off at least doing what he suggested, and at the very least it couldnt hurt.

EDIT: and I'm assuming this is on your 2.8? the coil packs arent all that hard on them, just frustrating, and that was on my cavalier so you might have an easier time in a cutlass. as far as the computer i cant be much help though.

OK, I called NAPA and got a price of $46.99 per coil and the computer will cost me $84.99, does anyone know how hard it is to install those?

If they are chargin that much cash just for labor I'm afraid it's a hard thing to do.

Is it something i can do with little knowledge, few tools, in the parking lot of my apartment? ... I do have a haynes manual at home, but i'm at work and i need to tell the mechanic to go for it or not... I'm also calling around to get prices from other mechanics

$850 is beyond the mechanic rapage zone. At most, if you don't think you can do it, I'd spend $450.

Hell, go to a JY and pull a set of coil packs and icm, hell, get the computer while your there.

You can absolutely do it yourself in the parking lot, assuming that you can get the car high enough to get at the coil packs. It's a small bolt size, 2 of them per coil that hold those bad boys on. I think it's like a 5 mm or something like that.

And the ECM is on the passenger side fender under the coolant reservoir, easy to get to. Don't get raped by dealer prices, screw them.

Have confidence, take your time, and you can handle it. Be sure to disconnect the battery before you start so you don't accidentally short anything out.

Good luck and happy wrenching!

Ok, I got a call from my garage and it turns out i got a burnt out coil. I guess that caused the ignition computer to short out as well... I'm getting a price of about $850 to replace all 3 coils and the computer (mechanic says to replace the other 2 because they are in tough shape as well) is this a good price, or is there something cheap and easy i can do on my own.

:shock: :gone2far: I paid $35 for both 3 coilpacks and an ignition computer. If you pay $850 for the same thing I paid $35 for, I'm going to laugh at you. Go to a junkyard and pull one and pay less than $100.

Otherwise bend over and buy your own lube cause they'll make you pay extra for that too.

It's a small bolt size, 2 of them per coil that hold those bad boys on. I think it's like a 5 mm or something like that.

And the ECM is on the passenger side fender under the coolant reservoir, easy to get to. Don't get raped by dealer prices, screw them.

EDIT: The ICM (ignition computer) is different from the ECM. The ICM is what your coils are attatched to. Remove the larger bolts holding the ICM and coils to the block and replace the entire thing. If you go to a junkyard to get it, make sure and take it to Autozone or something and get it tested.

The ICM might be hard to get to, but it's not impossible. You can most definitely do this in a parking lot in less than an hour with no special tools. Maybe an angle socket, but I didn't even need that.

$850 is flat out crazy :skep: do what everyone else said, go to a junkyard and pull what you need for much, much cheeper. or hell ask in the for sale section, i'm sure people here have spares.

Yeah, I called another garage and got a price of $375, they said it'd be an hour and a half of labor... I'm not sure what this garage is trying to pull charging close to $600 for that much labor. So i just gotta figure if i want to spend the $100 or so for someone else to do it.

what is the difference between ECM and ICM, because I'm calling a few garages and when I ask for an ICM, they correct me and say it's an ECM, should i just say ignition computer, I want to make sure I'm asking for the right part...

Also, there are just THREE coils for my car, or are there six because it's a six cylinder?

HOLY CRAP!!! $850!?! Thats an f'n rip off, I got used coils and an ICM for my 3.4 last year for a mere $50 from a junk yard, and I thought that was expensive. Do it your self man its not that bad, I had what basically amounted to zero experience at the time and I got it done in about 3-4 hours. Granted I had to drop the started, oil filter and some other crap to do it on my engine, so if anything it should be a bit easier on the 2.8L.

An ECM (Engine Control Module) controls ALL of the engines operations, the ICM (Ignigtion Control Module) only controls the firing of the spark plugs and gets its information based on other sensors reporting to the ECM. So anywho...what you need is an ICM and three coil packs (there are two coils per coil pack). Most of the time junk yards will only sell them as a set anyways and they'll come mounted on a bracket that attaches directly to the engine.

what is the difference between ECM and ICM, because I'm calling a few garages and when I ask for an ICM, they correct me and say it's an ECM, should i just say ignition computer, I want to make sure I'm asking for the right part...

Also, there are just THREE coils for my car, or are there six because it's a six cylinder?

When you call garages, say coilpacks and ICM. You don't have any u-pull-it yards around there?

There are 3 coils for your car.

I just went back to the garage and took my car back. I told them what a rip-off they were and that i got 3 quotes from other garages for $350, $375, and $440. Even the dealership came in at $575. They also wanted to charge me $75 bucks for diagnostics but i raised a stink and got them to waive it. Last time I go to those assholes.

Anyways, there are a few JYs around here but for the time it'd take me to remove those coil packs and ignition module, it's probably worth it to me to spend the $250 to get brand new ones from NAPA. I'll also check with my haynes manual to see how bad it is to install them on my car or weather it's worth it to spend the money for the other garage to install them for me.

One question though, Do you think it's ok for me to drive around with a busted coil pack or am i gonna do more damage?

if new is the way you want to go then by all means go for it, but to me (a cheapscape) i'd just get a set from the junkyard and install them myself. because i could find many better places for that money to go.

One question though, Do you think it's ok for me to drive around with a busted coil pack or am i gonna do more damage?

I drove my Grand Prix post-accident with busted coilpacks for about 2 weeks. All you're gonna get is loss of power at certain RPM's. Didn't hurt my engine. In fact, it made it all the more fun to drive once I got the new ones on there, felt brand new :twisted:

Check junk yards first. Its a common enough part that many of them will already have them pulled for you. Hell I'd offer to sell you an the ICM and coil packs I took off my car (95' 3.4). Anyone know if they will work on a 2.8? If they do, $25 (I paid $50) plus shipping and their yours.

Im not saying that his will happen to you, but on my '88 regal with the 2.8 I had a bad coil pack. Well my car sounded like a lawn mower with no power at all. When I drove it to the garage to get it fixed(under warranty) I had to drive about 25 miles since I bought the car far from my house. I tried not beating on it, but the speed limit was 55mph during a long stretch. Then I remember smelling something burning. The mechanic told me that I melted my cat and almost started a fire since some of the gas wasnt be properly burned due to the faulty coil pack. I say get it done asap, but Im sure short trips wont kill your car. I'm one who had a bad experience!

Im not saying that his will happen to you, but on my '88 regal with the 2.8 I had a bad coil pack. Well my car sounded like a lawn mower with no power at all. When I drove it to the garage to get it fixed(under warranty) I had to drive about 25 miles since I bought the car far from my house. I tried not beating on it, but the speed limit was 55mph during a long stretch. Then I remember smelling something burning. The mechanic told me that I melted my cat and almost started a fire since some of the gas wasnt be properly burned due to the faulty coil pack. I say get it done asap, but Im sure short trips wont kill your car. I'm one who had a bad experience!

That sounds dangerous :?

I never had a problem like that, and I took numerous highway trips like that. I'd get it fixed as quick as possible, though. You never know.

Check junk yards first. Its a common enough part that many of them will already have them pulled for you. Hell I'd offer to sell you an the ICM and coil packs I took off my car (95' 3.4). Anyone know if they will work on a 2.8? If they do, $25 (I paid $50) plus shipping and their yours.

Most any GM coilpack/ICM should work. The ones the junkyard gave me came off a completely different car, at least that's what they told me.

I never had a problem like that, and I took numerous highway trips like that. I'd get it fixed as quick as possible, though. You never know.

believe me, you dont want to risk it. Everyone knows that when you have an intial problem that it "could" lead to more BS.