Whats the easist way you've found to remove the alt.....

slick

Yeah, on the 3.4.

60degreev6.com's write up doesn't look too bad, but talking to Josh, he was saying I dont even have to remove the hub or CV Joint.

So, any input on all of this? Keep in mind, i have small arms and hands, so getting into tight places is no big deal for me.

Small arms or not, how do you propose to get the alternator out of there with out taking off the axle? I heard a rumor once from some guy that used to be a mechanic and he said that you could just unbolt the downpipe and that made just enough room to change things out, not sure if its true or not since I haven't had to do an alternator yet.

i droped the subframe abit i suported the car with a jackstand then used a jack to suport the subframe and took out the bolts and lowered by releaseing the jack slowly. made the job TONS easier.

A manual trans gives you more room. I havent tried to come up with a new way for it but dropping the subframe is likely a good idea if you have enough jack stands and a good jack. Im not sure if you can lower it enough though without removing the steering bolt.

Just put a trap door in the firewall/floor, that should make it easy to take out from in the cab. :lol:

That sounds almost feasable, but the best idea yet!

shit that might work if you strengthen around the trap door!!! LMFAO

u just lower the subframe a lil if u have to. taht alt will be easy to change cause tehre is no back bracket on it. pull the tie rod end, its a lil tight but it comes right out.

Popping out the axle shaft for me was less of a PITA than undoing the pinch bolt and lowering the rear of the subframe.

I think you have to do one or the other, no way around that, except for maybe the trap door idea. :lol:

The other trick is to just maneuver your fingers and hands to remove the bolt in the rear. I was able to get to it easily and didn't have to remove any shields or disconnect the exhaust like the service manual called for. I would have LOVED to have a ratcheting box end wrench for this part, and I will need to remember to buy one before I have to do it again (10mm, BTW).

It's not the worst thing I've ever done on a car, but with just regular hand tools, it'll still rob you of 4-6hrs to do the whole job.