A General Question about stereo wiring

EuroSedan93

I would like to run the 4ga wire that I have for my stereo thru the firewall in my euro, but it looks to be a tad more difficult to do than with my cavalier. has anyone else run stereo wire thru the firewall and if so where abouts did you drill the hole, etc. Thanks.

Drilling a hole isn't required. Facing the firewall from the front of the car, look to the left of the brake booster. There should be a firewall grommet there. In every w-body I've ever seen, there's a firewall grommet there.

Drilling a hole isn't required. Facing the firewall from the front of the car, look to the left of the brake booster. There should be a firewall grommet there. In every w-body I've ever seen, there's a firewall grommet there.

what he said....

What they said. That's exactly where I ran my 4ga wiring through.

It's actually a large grommet covering up the hole where the clutch master cylinder mounts on the manual-equipped cars. You might want to run a drill bit through it first to punch a hole big enough to pass that big-ass wire through.

Okay, I'm "through" :lol: ...

It's easier to find from inside, I think. At least it was for me.

It's to the left of where the brake booster rod comes into the the car. Follow brake pedal and see where it's attached to the brake booster rod, then look a few inches to the left and there should be a big black rubber plug there. I just took a knife and slit an "X" shape in it and was able to push my 4ga power cable through it with no problems.

I just want to add that I couldn't find the grommet from underneath the dash at all (I have the newer style dash, though.) If you shine a flashlight just to the right of the vacuum booster, you should see it in plain view.

And another thing, don't hook a 4 gauge amp wire to the Auxillary Positive post! Notice how the cable running from the battery to the post is only an 8 gauge wire? I found a battery cable adapter at Wally World (made by Scosche) that mounts a large lug in place of the positive cable's bolt (on the battery that is.) The other part clamps over the lug and you can insert your 4 gauge wire there.

• 4 months later...

I used the hole for the hood release cable. But now my battery is in the trunk and I had to drill a large hole for the cable. I driled it to the right of the hood release hole

Where does that hole come out at? I can't see under the clutch fluid reservoir and the brake booster / brake lines. Does it come out in the engine compartment or in the fender? I really cannot tell.

Peel back the rug on the driver floor up by the pedals. The hood release grommet is to the right of the e-brake

It comes out under the brake booster - its kind of hard to see

Okay I found it, I think I am just going to drill a hole next to it... unfortunately because of the stupid clutch fluid reservoir and the brake lines I can't see down there... I hope I don't pop anything.

If your unsure use a smaller bit first, and shine a flashlight through the hole and look under the hood for the light.

Mine was just to the right and slightly down of the hood release grommet, but then I have an automatic.

Dont let the drill go into the hole, or as soon as you make the hole pull out the drill so it cant hit anything that might be behind the firewall. I was nervous when I did mine but I didn't hit anything

My Amp was wired by a guy that my friend knew that worked at a stereo shop. He wired it through the heater core holes (where the lines go through the firewall). I'm just gonna take it to him and tell him to do it right, because I installed a new heater core and heater box (was missing when I bought the car) and had to remove the power wire. I tried drilling a hole where you suggested but there is some sort of plastic-ish cover on the engine side of the firewall so I can't see where the drill is coming out. I don't have any longer bits either other than the one I was going to use for the final hole (I think it's 1/4"). Forget this drilling holes in my ride crap, I'm just gonna take it to a professional. He already said he'd do it for free anyway. Thanks for the advice though.

• 4 weeks later...
DiscoStudd, I will be doing my stereo and want to know more about that adapter for using 4g and the aux pos. post....thanx

I went directly to the battery and avoided the AUX post altogether.

Here's a blurry pic the adapter I bought, installed in my car:

batteryblock.jpg

And here's the part in question:

http://www.scosche.com/efx.aspx?CategoryID=52&ItemID=PODMI

I picked it up at Wal-Mart for $10 or so. It has a "lug" that goes in place of the bolt on your battery's positive cable (you have to cut away some of the rubber from around where the bolt goes so the new lug fits.) The amp wire is held onto the clamp by a set screw, and the clamp is clamped to the lug with another set screw...