Will this engine Fit?

KingArthur

Ya... It had a 3.1. I bought it without a motor but it had the tranny. I was wanting check my choices of motors before I decide on putting back the original 3.1. A local junkyard has a 3.8 in a 94 Buick Regal thats why I was wanting to know if it will work.

The motor mounts may be differant

No. They're not. They're identical. Even a Series II will bolt right in.

Can I use the mounts from a 3.1. And will the exhaust hook up?

To be on the safe side because I'm not quite sure of the length, grab the dogbones. As for exhaust, you'd have to ask someone else here.. I don't know.

I don't see why anybody hasn't said this yet...but why would you waste all that time trying to swap an engine that doesn't belong in your car and not have it be a powerful engine like the 3800 Series II Supercharged? I could see a 3.1 Turbo'd or a 3.4 DOHC cause them engines were made for your car, but the 3800 TPI wasn't. So if your gonna waste all that time you might as well go for the biggest and get the Supercharged. It seems like a waste of time to me otherwise! :roll:

I don't see why anybody hasn't said this yet...but why would you waste all that time trying to swap an engine that doesn't belong in your car and not have it be a powerful engine like the 3800 Series II Supercharged? I could see a 3.1 Turbo'd or a 3.4 DOHC cause them engines were made for your car, but the 3800 TPI wasn't. So if your gonna waste all that time you might as well go for the biggest and get the Supercharged. It seems like a waste of time to me otherwise! :roll:

For a dailly driver I think the L27 is a great engine. 30+ MPG highway, decent pickup, great reliability....

everyone sure the wiring harness for the dash will be compatiable?

I'm pretty sure the C100's connections are interchangeable

I don't think that the 3.8 wouldn't be a waste of time. I don't have a motor in the car right now so I have options. I had mentioned the 3.8 because a 3.4 is hard to find in Arkansas, the 3100 or 3400 seem like more work than installing a 3.8 with having to buy special motor mounts.

The 3.1 is 140hp stock and the 3.8 is 170hp. Just a little added power, but I don't see a lot of 3.1 to 3.8 swaps on the forum. I found one guy that used the 3800 supercharged in a lumina but his site don't give full detail.

are you sure a 90 degree engine will bolt to a 60 degree transmission?

If its a V6 Lumina they both use the 4T60 or 4T60e so it shouldn't be a problem.

I already knew they both use the 4T60/4T60-E transmissions, BUT do they share the same bellhousing?

I'm wondering, do they both have the same bolt patterns as the deck surfaces on the 90* engine are wider on the 60* engine.

--Dave

If you don't get the donor engine out of a W-body, you'll have a fun time trying to acquire mounts and brackets for it. You can't use them off your old engine either, because the 3800 Series I does use different mounts and even mount locations. It uses the same locations on the subframe as the 3.4 DOHC.

The 3800 Series II on the other hand, uses 2.8/3.1/3100 mount locations.

I would probably go for a 3800 Series II powered by 3800 Series I wiring and electronics.