Taillights not working

Bruticus

Ok tonight i noticed while i was backing up that my taillights werent working when i applied my foot to the brake. I changed the fuse and nothing still the same crap. They come on when the headlights are put on I have no idea what it could be the bulbs are brand new. Any suggestions thanks in advance.

Besides checking the fuse for the tails themself, make sure you check some other fuses for the brake system. I've had a similar problem and I had 2 fuses blown. Also, you might wanna try to clean your bulbs and the sockets.

Also, just to cover all of your bases, check your brake pedal. There should be a little plunger thing under there which compresses when you have your foot off of the brake, and it is supposed to pop out when you apply the brakes. That's what actually causes your brake lights to come on.

No it's not . The part that makes the lights turn on is a big white thing up towards the top of the brake pedal. Make sure it is adjusted properly by pulling on the silverl spring while pressing the brake pedal all the way, then releasing it. Also check the connector that plugs into the bottom of it, and make sure it is attached to the brake pedal itself.

is it your brake lights or park lights that are not working? If it is the brake lights, I'd bet on a brake light fuse, espicialy if your turn signals are working. If the park lights are the issue, check the frame ground at the rear of the car for the lights. It maybe corroaded and causing them not to work when hitting the brakes do to a short.

No it's not . The part that makes the lights turn on is a big white thing up towards the top of the brake pedal. Make sure it is adjusted properly by pulling on the silverl spring while pressing the brake pedal all the way, then releasing it. Also check the connector that plugs into the bottom of it, and make sure it is attached to the brake pedal itself.

No it's not? You're not refering to the same thing, just in different terms?

Check if the 3rd brake light lights up when you depress the brake pedal. If that does light up and the 2 lower ones don't, then the signal switch is bad. ***BLATANT PLUG*** Click here...

If nothing lights up at all, then remove the under dash trim panel and look for the brake light switch. It's located in the place previously mentioned. Move the whole body of the switch closer to the brake pedal to see if that helps. If not then pull the switch out, disconnect it and test it for continuity. You may have to replace it altoghter (which has been already mentioned.)

If your parking lights don't work, after checking the fuses, try replacing the headlight switch...

Could a malfunctioning turn signal switch possibly explain why my hazard flahsers dont work (turn signals still do)?

I've already checked the hazard flasher and the fuse in the fuse box

SmoothSteve

Check if the 3rd brake light lights up when you depress the brake pedal. If that does light up and the 2 lower ones don't, then the signal switch is bad. ***BLATANT PLUG*** Click here...

If nothing lights up at all, then remove the under dash trim panel and look for the brake light switch. It's located in the place previously mentioned. Move the whole body of the switch closer to the brake pedal to see if that helps. If not then pull the switch out, disconnect it and test it for continuity. You may have to replace it altoghter (which has been already mentioned.)

If your parking lights don't work, after checking the fuses, try replacing the headlight switch...

Ok disco the third light is working and the other 2 arent so looks like imma have to take yur advice. :lol:

Could a malfunctioning turn signal switch possibly explain why my hazard flahsers dont work (turn signals still do)?

I've already checked the hazard flasher and the fuse in the fuse box

SmoothSteve

Yes...

Ok disco the third light is working and the other 2 arent so looks like imma have to take yur advice.
Be sure that you do! It's the definitive turn signal switch replacement write-up on the net!!!

Ok tonight i noticed while i was backing up that my taillights werent working when i applied my foot to the brake. I changed the fuse and nothing still the same crap. They come on when the headlights are put on I have no idea what it could be the bulbs are brand new. Any suggestions thanks in advance.
i dont know what about reverse lights mine dont work... any sugestions

I had the exact opposite problem on my 88 regal, my brake lights wouldn't shut off. when i took it in to get it fixed, it was almost 6 hours of labor to change. Your lumina might be more, if its got airbags. An easy way to check if it is the switch is to go down the highway and set the cruise control. If it comes on, but doesn't shut off when you step on the brakes, then it is the switch. Because your cruise shuts off when the brake lights come on. :bonk:

• 9 months later...

6 hours labor to change that switch?!? that's completely stupid! I can bang that switch out in under an hour! (Even with airbags!)

a LOT of the GM's have that problem, L-body, N-Body, J-Body, A-Body, and even W-Body. (Beretta, Achieva, Cavalier, Cutlass Ciera, and Regal - all cars I've owned, all cars I've replaced that switch in because of that issue)

I hate doin' that job, but it's freekin' easy.

--Dave.