Wheel balance gurus

DEMonte1997

Can a wheel be balanced by using only weights on the inside? When getting wheels balanced, should I ask for a static balance or dynamic balance... or does it matter? Are there different kinds of weights to use? Are some weights less abrasive on rims than others? One dealer almost screwed up the alloys on my other car by using some really crummy weights.

I'm thinking about having the wheels balanced on my new car-I feel a little vibration and shimmying at higher speeds.

tell 'em you want a static balance, and that they need to use tape weights.

the advantage of that is you don't see the weights, but the disadvantage is you won't have a true balance. Dynamic balancing is really the only way you should go on a daily driver.

--Dave.

I always balance my rims on the inside, any weight hammered on the outside lip is going to let moisture into your clearcoat and make the rims look bad after a few years. My Jeep's factory rims are only balanceable on the inside. I have oversize tires on it and it still goes down the road smoother than any of my GM cars.