1988 Olds 3800 Can I remove EGR without having any troub

newpontiac

I have a 1988 Oldmobile 98 with a 3800 engine bone stock.

Can I remove the EGR and place a blocker plate over the original mounting without having my SES light come on? also will this hurt, improve, or not be noticable to performance? Does the EGR have any signal wires to the ECM? What wires are running to the EGR?

Thanks, I am glad I have found this forum seems to be a great one.

I'd say it can be removed because an '88 Engine should just have the vaccum operated EGR.

But, i wouldn't do it because it leans your fuel mixture out and increases your gas mileage on the freeway. Atleast in cars with the electronic egr anyway.

Don't remove it!!!!! I used to have a 89 olds 98. It seriously fucks with the computer settings. Don't mess with anything on it other than maybe a custom intake tube and filter. If you so much as get a vacuum line loose, it will go fucking ape shit.

562842_65_full.jpg

Don't remove it!!!!! I used to have a 89 olds 98. It seriously fucks with the computer settings. Don't mess with anything on it other than maybe a custom intake tube and filter. If you so much as get a vacuum line loose, it will go fucking ape shit.

562842_65_full.jpg

midnight, are those your toys in the picture? :lol:

562842_65_full.jpg

midnight, are those your toys in the picture? :lol:

Nope they belong to my little guy.

John Thomas Albrecht

john.JPG

how old is your son? i wish i was a little kid again.

anyways, i'm sure you play with those toys anyways. :lol: those plastic lawnmowers were badass when i was little!!!!!

If you so much as get a vacuum line loose, it will go fucking ape shit.

Do you mean an unstable idle when you unplug the vacuum line? You have to remember that 3800's are a MAF based system and it's more sensitive to vacuum leaks.

lol my son thinks you guys are funny for wanting to play with his toys. He will be 5 in december.

Now back on subject, my car wouldn't run right with out the egr. I rplaced it and it run like it was supposed to. They are a very hard to tune engine in the olds lineup for some odd reason.... lol