steering wheel radio buttons and Kenwood CD player..?

THe_DeTAiL3R

I need suggestions on those aftermarket things for using steering wheel buttons with an aftermarket deck (Kenwood in my case). I have gotten used to using the buttons on my 95 so I would like to keep them working when I put the deck in tomorrow. Please list various brands (I want to see if I can find any cheap on ebay).

PAC-SWIX works good.

How do you install it? Does it just sent a IR signal to the HU? I'd prefer a unit that is basically plug and play (like this:http://www.soundgate.com/products/remote-audio/gm.htm#)

If I could find one of those Soundgate ones on ebay I'd proablby buy one since Discostudd has one and recommends it..

I had the SWI-X in my '89, it was awesome and trouble free. The IR transmitter doesnt even have to be directly pointed to the radio, mine was above and slightly behind it and worked fine. Great thing to have.

The SoundGate is a bit spendy, but it's a simple 3-wire hookup right at the radio's harness. You tap into the switched + wire, the ground, and the data wire from the radio controls. After hooking it up (or before, whatever) all you need to do is set a couple of DIP switches inside the module, and mount the IR emitter, and you're all set. I bought mine from Logjam Electronics: http://www.logjamelectronics.com/sounrem.html .

As far as mounting the emitter, I originally placed mine up underneath the dash trim below the radio, but when I installed my remote radar detector in the space below the radio (in the install kit) I flush-mounted it to the plastic window (I'm not too impressed with the emitter because it doesn't accomodate panel mounting. I'm going to try replacing it with one from Radio Shack that panel mounts eventually so it looks neater...)

I'm going out to snap a pic of my setup right now, and I'll post it afterwards...

Here's a closeup of my setup:

radio_radar_ir.jpg

The way the emitter lies (with the red dot facing out) is the only way it will work properly. I tried mounting it to the back of the smoked plastic piece that I have covering up the radar detector, but it was too dark and wouldn't work. I poked it through the front and drilled 2 holes above and below it so I could use a zip tie to hold it in place. The way it's sitting right now, it works perfectly, but it'll all look better once I get a hold of some genuine smoked "PlexiGlass" (to replace the flimsy crap I used) and a new panel-mount style IR emitter like THIS and mounted in something like THIS...