Unbelieveable

Guest RedCutlassSL

Guest RedCutlassSL

Last May I replaced both pads on the front of my car. A few days ago I could hear a grinding noise. Tonight I took the tire off and looked. Somehow, the pad on the pass side wore all the way through, past the medal backing. This is one pad only mind you, the other 3 on the front are fine. The rotor is ground up pretty bad, and there is metal particles all over the wheelwell. I'm kinda pissed. Anyway, it shouldn't be hard to fix, I just need new pads and the rotor resurfaced or replaced. Any idea what would cause a pad to wear that rapidly?

did you lubricate the slider bolts before putting them back in? they're the ones holding the caliper to the bracket (15mm) if they're not lubed enough, it could prevent free movement of the caliper when the brakes are applied. The front calipers are pretty reliable on these cars so I dont suspect a failure of them. So just use some brake grease on the bolts next time, get new pads and before you put the wheel on, make sure that the caliper can move by hand a little bit.

This same exact problem happened on my moms Alero and my dads 2000 Silverado, only it was the rear on the Silverado. Turns out that the brackets for the calipers we're way to tight not allowing enough movement of the caliper. Dealership grinded the brackets down just a hair on both vehicles, and no problems since.

Aaron