Project TGP .. UPDATE PHASE 1 complete!

Gearhead43

Picked it up and drove it today... And All I can say is WOW!!!! :shock: Dammmed!!! :lol: Its got carbon tracking on the TPS and a slight misfire under boost.. But is dammed moves well.. :twisted: :wink: :shock:

Wooo hooo !

Now once I get the problems taken care of, I'll add the 160 TG Chip , the K&N filter. then I'll be SMOKING em. No pictures as of yet... Got alot to CLEAN up and reinstall. But they are coming soon!!!!

When I get done with it it will NOT be stock... Right now its got the a new T-25 TURBO, EP crossover and FFP underdrive pulley on,,, TG160 chip. 160 T-stat and K&N Cone are fixing to go on after I figure out what

later I'm looking to add a T-28, or T-3 and larger Downpipe... Maybe get Headers made.....

Well I'll be dammed, After checking the oil for coolant, the Tranny for leaks, and the turbo's coolant jacket for a bad seal, Compression check has revealed 170-175 PSI on all cylinders.... That's dammed good. No coolant leaks..Since the smoke is really a grayish white, John Kanaly seems to think it's raw fuel being dumped into the exhaust.... Ummmmm

It had a misfire too. So I went ahead and changed the plugwires, O2 sensor,, added fresh Mobil 1 oil and I am in the process of adding the Jeff M. Top Gun 160 Chip along with the 160 T-stat, and a K&N filter. Then I'll run a full Scan with the OBDI scan tool.

(For you 97 GP'ers out there, the 89 TGP can run a 160 T-stat without throwing a code because it is not tied into the ECM.)

In about one year I might sell the new T-25 Garret turbo and upgrade to the Garrett GT-28R. The new Ball Bearing series .. And Yes, I've heard those can be quite EXPENSIVE!

Nah, the GT28R is a non-ball bearing turbo, the RS is a BB turbo. And they aren't that expensive, you're getting a dual BB turbo, that's water cooled, that is for the most part a direct swap for the stock turbo, $1200 ain't that bad.

Guest TurboSedan

i thought the entire 'GT' series of Garrett turbos were ball bearing?

GT28R specs:

Turbine

-Wheel: 53mm w/ 62 trim

-Housing: .64 ar

Compressor

-Wheel: 60mm w/ 60 trim

-Housing: .60 ar

-------------------------------------

GT28RS specs:

Turbine

-Wheel: 53.85mm w/ 76 trim

-Housing: .64 or .86 ar

Compressor

-Wheel: 60mm w/ 62 trim

-Housing: .60 ar

Yes and NO...

On the Garrett catolog...GT turbos are jurnal bearing and roller.

GTxx is jurnal

GTxxRx is roller

Anything with an R after the model number is roller.

So the GT25r is roller

the GT28r is roller

the GT28rs is roller...but with different wheels.

the GT35 is jurnal...

Get it :wink: