A/C Condenser replacement

xtremerevolution

Do I have to drain the coolant and remove the radiator out of the car entirely to replace the condenser, or can I leave the coolant in the system with the radiator attached and simply move it out of the way to get to the condenser?

On the Lumina's we took the radiators out completely to get to the condensor, but I believe you can replace it without taking the radiator out. It's easier with it out, plus I wanted to flush the coolant anyways.

On the Lumina's we took the radiators out completely to get to the condensor, but I believe you can replace it without taking the radiator out. It's easier with it out, plus I wanted to flush the coolant anyways.

Right, but it does take more time to drain the coolant and refill it, which I don't need to do. I might just end up having to though since the headers I have in there don't leave a whole lot of clearance.

You're better off removing the radiator xtreme. Usually when I do them at work on whatever car I TRY and leave the radiator in, because like you said it's a pain and it takes time to drain and refill the system. The only down side to that is trying to slide the condenser in and out usually means damaging fins on either the radiator or the condenser, or bending lines that shouldn't be bent.

Plus, if you remove the radiator it gives you a chance to give it a good cleaning with water to make sure it's working tip-top :thumbsup:

You are replacing the accumulator and orifice tube also, right?

You're better off removing the radiator xtreme. Usually when I do them at work on whatever car I TRY and leave the radiator in, because like you said it's a pain and it takes time to drain and refill the system. The only down side to that is trying to slide the condenser in and out usually means damaging fins on either the radiator or the condenser, or bending lines that shouldn't be bent.

Plus, if you remove the radiator it gives you a chance to give it a good cleaning with water to make sure it's working tip-top :thumbsup:

You are replacing the accumulator and orifice tube also, right?

Yes, I am replacing the accumulator and orifice tube, and compressor and compressor hose. This shit better hold freon once its put back together.

I know i've done it on a DOHC first gen with just removing the fans and shoving the radiator forward.

Is it really that easy? Because if it is, I'd rather not drain the coolant, which has only ~22k miles on it.

Well then, screw removing the radiator, I'll just pull it back some. I'd rather not do more work than is absolutely necessary. Makes fixing my A/C a whole lot easier.

Just a thought, is the compressor already installed? Because having the radiator out would make that a lot easier too.

If you do just pull the radiator back, I'd advise to work slowly and watch your hands. Those fins are like mini razor blades and running your skin across them while sneaking the condenser out can be pretty painful.

Just a thought, is the compressor already installed? Because having the radiator out would make that a lot easier too.

If you do just pull the radiator back, I'd advise to work slowly and watch your hands. Those fins are like mini razor blades and running your skin across them while sneaking the condenser out can be pretty painful.

Compressor isn't yet installed, nor are the compressor hoses because I don't yet have them.

Well the hoses would for SURE be easier to install without the radiator.

If your coolant is only 22k miles old, why not just save it? Drain is into a clean container and reuse it. You might need a few pints to top it up at the end but that's no big deal. I really think that pulling the radiator would help you and your knuckles out quite a bit even though it's a bit messy.