Brake Light Problem

97loudcut

I didn't know what section to put this in, so mods can move if they want to.

My brake lights work fine, but for some odd reason, when I apply the brake and turn on my left blinker the right brake light turns off?

sounds like an internal problem of the switch.

the contact that is supposed to keep power going to the right is loosing contact.

make sure the light is on otherwise, and inspect the bulbs and wiring. in the trunk.

Had this same type of issue with my Cutty (back in the day) and all I did was clean the contacts on the rear bulbs and everything cleared up. Then again, I kept blowing fuses so this was probably a totally different problem.

You dont need to take off the steering wheel for the turn signal switch....

i had to...the newer columns must be differnet

Well my dad bought a new one a while back, and it didnt take him very long at all to replace it. He didnt have to take the steering wheel off either. Because I know if he had to, he would have just took it to a dealer because of the airbag.

Well my dad bought a new one a while back, and it didnt take him very long at all to replace it. He didnt have to take the steering wheel off either. Because I know if he had to, he would have just took it to a dealer because of the airbag.

Um, you sure the hell do need to remove the steering wheel. The switch is buried under a bunch of shit, not to mention it completely "encapsulates" the steering shaft. You couldn't even get it out if you cut the column cover apart. Read http://tss.likeabigdog.com for illustrations.

I'm guessing your dad has a 2G, as you can remove the switch on those without removing the wheel...

GREAT NEWS! mine does that too, and guess what.. i gotta 92 so once again... that website doesnt help me! Hell Yeah!!

Pick up a Hayne's manual, then! Yours is a hell of a lot easier to repair. If the contacts on your switch aren't too worn, then all you need to do is disassemble the switch and bend the terminals down. You don't even need to remove the switch from the column...

Um, you sure the hell do need to remove the steering wheel. The switch is buried under a bunch of shit, not to mention it completely "encapsulates" the steering shaft. You couldn't even get it out if you cut the column cover apart. Read http://tss.likeabigdog.com for illustrations.

I'm guessing your dad has a 2G, as you can remove the switch on those without removing the wheel...

Ahh I read the first one wrong. My dad replaced the stalk. Not the actual switch.... :redface:

Ahh I read the first one wrong. My dad replaced the stalk. Not the actual switch.... :redface:

loser%20kyle.jpg

Well that's puts a whole different paint job on things! :lol: Yeah, there's no need to remove the wheel to replace just the stalk...