Flex-A-Form Rear Spring install and disappointment (7 pics)

GnatGoSplat

I do have rubbing with my 18's, but for some reason, only on the right side. It rubs the crap out of the part of the plastic fender liner that's bumped out. It's already wore a hole right through it. Funny thing is the factory size 225/60r16 is doing the same thing on the 94 Cutlass. It wouldn't rub had I gone with 25.7" diameter tires (245/40r18), probably wouldn't even rub with 26.3" tires (235/45r18), but I thought 26.7" tires (245/45r18) would fill the gaps better because it's closest in diameter to 225/60r16 (26.6"). TGP's came with 25.7" tires stock so in your case I would stay with that diameter.

If the overall diameter is the same or close, maybe it's due to the offset?

Or just those wiiidde ass tires...LOL

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• R Dubya

• GnatGoSplat

• airbe5car

• dsgrntld187

Well on the car that I am lowering I have 245/45/16's. I think that this is going to cause a rubbing problem for me.

I just contacted Intrax's warehouse in Irvine, CA and asked them about a possible group purchase for sets of front springs for the 95-99 Monte Carlo. I asked him to find out if they have anything and he said he may be able to work something out. He's going to contact me shortly and I will post any news.

Springs are in stock in CA. He has enough right now to cover 5 sets of 2 springs, fronts only, unless for some reason you wanted the rears. I do not have an exact price yet, although I've seen sets for $240 for 4, and he said it would be close to half of the retail for 4. So when he calls me back with definite answers to my questions I will post again.

Turby do you have plans for that Cutty you picked up in Scranton that I didn't know about?

Guys just so you know, I am almost positive that these springs are only available in powder coated purple. :lol: Don't know if that will change your mind or not.

Guest Anonymous
Turby do you have plans for that Cutty you picked up in Scranton that I didn't know about?

My sig says it all.

Guys just so you, I am almst positive that these springs are only available in powder coated purple. :lol: Don't know if that will change your mind or not.

Purple is cool. 8)

Aww shit.. are you gonna pass on the purple springs? If it's low enough you won't be able to see them anyway. You can always have them redone couldn't you? I don't think I'll keep them purple.

I do have rubbing with my 18's, but for some reason, only on the right side. It rubs the crap out of the part of the plastic fender liner that's bumped out. It's already wore a hole right through it. Funny thing is the factory size 225/60r16 is doing the same thing on the 94 Cutlass. It wouldn't rub had I gone with 25.7" diameter tires (245/40r18), probably wouldn't even rub with 26.3" tires (235/45r18), but I thought 26.7" tires (245/45r18) would fill the gaps better because it's closest in diameter to 225/60r16 (26.6"). TGP's came with 25.7" tires stock so in your case I would stay with that diameter.

If the overall diameter is the same or close, maybe it's due to the offset?

Or just those wiiidde ass tires...LOL

I think it's just the tires are too wide, but from what I can tell, the problem can be fixed by either shorter tires, narrower tires, or both. The offset is +37mm with the spacers, but they still wouldn't clear the hump on the splash shield even if I could run a +42mm offset (without spacers).

Well on the car that I am lowering I have 245/45/16's. I think that this is going to cause a rubbing problem for me.

That's a very short tire. Only 24.7" overall diameter. I doubt you'd have any rubbing problem with such a small tire, I've even seen Hondas run a bigger diameter than that. Mine are the same width but 2" bigger in diameter and it only rubs on the plastic splash shield on the passenger side. No tire-to-metal contact. Now if you wanted it to tuck some tire up into the fenders, then you might have some contact problems and would either need a more positive offset, narrower tires, or both.

Sweet. I am planning on keeping this car mostly stock looking, I don't want to change the wheels because they are in beautiful shape. That's the main reason why I want to lower this thing. Those tires are short. Really good shape too. I can't wait to get it back out on the road again. All this snow we've gotten in the past week is really making me want to see some sunshine. And green grass.

Guest TurboSedan

my Eibach springs are red, but even though they only lowered the car a little over an inch, you cannot see the red spring at all unless you get down on your knees and look up in the wheel well. if they are only available in purple i'm still in. hopefully that Intrax front spring group buy works out!

Ok. I just got off the phone with the people at Intrax, and I have some good news. I just saved a bunch of money by switching my car insurance to Geico.

Seriously, I did just get off the phone and I have great news. I have set up a group buy that must be put together at the very latest the middle of next week. They will be processing an order and sending there crate overseas in order to receive their next shipment. Here are the numbers:

5 sets of 2 front springs for 95-99 Monte Carlos

$98.70

10 Sets of 2 front springs for 95-99 Monte Carlos

$82.25

What they are doing is taking the retail price of 329.99 for 4 springs, cutting it in half($164.50), and then offering a 40% and 50% discount respectively to the number of sets ordered. Sooo..

On to the bad news. These springs are imported from Holland, and thanks to the terrorists and that damn Atlantic Ocean, we won't see them for 6-8wks.

But wait there's more! They won't be purple! They will be red. So that alone should sell them for at least 2 people.

:wink:

I am going to purchase these springs. They are looking for a 50% deposit in the mail next week so they know that they aren't ordering half kits that they won't be able to sell. You can pay in full if you would like, I'm sure they won't have a problem with it.

Anyone interested please PM me. I would like to get an order sheet together and get it faxed to them so they have a guarantee of how many springs to order. Time is of the essence so if you are going to purchase don't wait. Checks should be in the mail at the latest by Tuesday. They will be going to Irvine, CA.

I would prefer not to handle the money so as to avoid confusion and problems, so lets do what we did with the ADDCO buy and send me some contact info and a shipping address, I will return to you Intrax's address.

One more thing.. I do not know if they will be covering the shipping costs to your door when they arrive in the US, but it will be exact so there is no outrageous price.

I need to pull $98 out of my ass, that's a good deal.

I looked at my car, and measured with a 2" drop. The front tires looked like they would rub on the wheel flare if the wheel moved upwards during travel. Being lowered at least 2", that wouldn't take much movement at all to rub. That's my only concern..

Airbe5car said that it dropped the front about 1.8". He was running 17's. Gnatgosplat was running 17's.

I measured my car and with the 245/45/16's it looks like they will clear.

TGP guys whats the consensus on this one...RW89TGP i want to get in on both group buys to get them off the ground...but the rubbing issues it would be money down the drain...any other TGP guys lookin to buy?

anyone who has these springs. How does the car change with regards to bumps, cornering, etc? Or is it just a height difference? Are they progressive rate springs? The price has me interested.

I'm thinking about it, but just looking at my car, lowering it 2" would put the tire 1" from the bottom of the fender flare. Any bump or dip in the road would easily push the tire in to the flare, which is something I'm not too crazy about.

http://www.lukez34.com/hostedpics/rub1.jpg

http://www.lukez34.com/hostedpics/rub2.jpg

http://www.lukez34.com/hostedpics/rub3.jpg

hmm ok....well....it's a 1.8" drop eh. Did they mention the height from the ground, or some other measurement? Because my car isn't "high" in the front by any means, like some other w's are. Also would like to get the shipping cost whenever they get around to it.

I think that they are talking from ground to fender flare. These are listed for the Monte Carlo, from what I gather the weight is around the same for TGP's and Monte's. I don't know the weight of a stock 2.8/3.1 Cutty but I imagine its near the same numbers, maybe less 100 lbs or so.

My measurements are on a previous page, I think it was 26 1/2" on the front, and about 27" in the rear. So it already site pretty even, but it's just too high. There is a giant gap between the wheels and the fenders on both front and back. I would be safe with a 1.8" drop in the front, but I also have 245/45/16's. Doesn't sound like much but the 245/50/16's I have on my other TGP would rub.

It may take a shorter tire on some cars to prevent the rubbing. I'm going to go look at my TGP again.

If you are talking about it hitting the actual fender than that could be more serious of a problem than the inner fender obviously.

Just get shorter tires. :lol: