50 series tires in a 16 inch rim

maybe2fast

1 or 2 MPH.... TGP's had 245/50-16 on the 8 inch wide crosslaces as standard equipment. I have seen 50 's on a 7.5" wide rim.. but I would not go any narrower than 7.5" wide...

What does a 50 series tire have anything to do with the width of the rim?? Um, lets see....nothing.

The 50 is the aspect ratio of the tire and it has nothing to do with the width of the tire. A 245/50/16 has a width of 245mm and a height of 122.5mm(50% of 245). Whereas a 225/50/16 has a width of 225mm and a sidewall height of 112.5mm(50% of 225). So, to accurately figure out if a tire is going to make a speedo inaccurate we needs to see the width of the tire as well.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/size_information.jsp

umm......... you sure you have 16's??? the 15" alloy looks the same. mine had 15" alloys as standard equipment. 245/50's would keep the speedo almost accurate.... but you'd be hard pressed to fit them on a 6 inch rim.

what kind of Lumina owner are you? yeah I have sixteen's. the tires I have are 225 60 R16, the same as any Z34 or Euro I have seen (215 60 R16 on the Euro's)

What does a 50 series tire have anything to do with the width of the rim?? Um, lets see....nothing.

The 50 is the aspect ratio of the tire and it has nothing to do with the width of the tire. A 245/50/16 has a width of 245mm and a height of 122.5mm(50% of 245). Whereas a 225/50/16 has a width of 225mm and a sidewall height of 112.5mm(50% of 225). So, to accurately figure out if a tire is going to make a speedo inaccurate we needs to see the width of the tire as well.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/size_information.jsp

I was telling him that becuz if you read the tire manufacture and wheel manufacture recommendations.. you'll see they do no recommend fitting a 50 series tire on a rim of less then 7.0 wide... 6.5 " is really pushing it.. . The tire is too WIDE for a 6.5 rim..

i asked about this awhile back i was gona put 225/55/16 or something like that on my car

i think error rate was like 3%

Why would you want to put on lower profile tires without increasing the rim size? I can't imagine how that would look anything but retarded.

It'll look like you have tires that belong on a compact car on your midsize car and look disproportionately ridiculous with wheel gap up the wazoo.

Why would you want to put on lower profile tires without increasing the rim size? I can't imagine how that would look anything but retarded.

It'll look like you have tires that belong on a compact car on your midsize car and look disproportionately ridiculous with wheel gap up the wazoo.

At least he didn't go out and buy spinner 24's to put on it.....lol

Too big and too small are ridiculous.

I think W-body wheels need to fit within 25.7" and 26.7" diameters.

Anything else will look disproportionate.

Too big and too small are ridiculous.

I think W-body wheels need to fit within 25.7" and 26.7" diameters.

Anything else will look disproportionate.

Everyone is entitled to there own opinions as to what looks good. Personaly, I liked the 14" steels, 195/70/14's, and hub caps my lumina had. But thats just me.......

562842_51_full.jpg

stock size: 225/60R16

size in pics: 245/50R16

201055_82_full.jpg

201055_75_full.jpg

i like the smaller sidewall and wider stance...

I was telling him that becuz if you read the tire manufacture and wheel manufacture recommendations.. you'll see they do no recommend fitting a 50 series tire on a rim of less then 7.0 wide... 6.5 " is really pushing it.. . The tire is too WIDE for a 6.5 rim..

Yes, but the 50 series doesn't mean anything without the width. You can have a 225/50/16 with a 112.5mm sidewall or a 275/50/16 with a 137.5mm. The only thing you have to watch is the width of the tire in relationship to the width of the rim, and saying 50 series has nothing to do with that. You keep talking about the 50 as if it's the width and it's not....it's the aspect ratio which is the HEIGHT of the sidewall.

201055_82_full.jpg

201055_75_full.jpg

dude your 245/50s are just as tall as the 225/60's you took off

That still falls within what I would consider acceptable, and on a GP, preferable.

225/60R16=26.7"

245/50R16=25.7"

Cutlass wheel wells are 29" wide so 26.7" tire fills it out better.

GP with B4M/B4U wheel wells are 28" wide so 25.7" tire fills out out fine.

225/50R16 is a 24.8" tire and will look extra dinky in a car with 29" wide wheel wells.

201055_82_full.jpg

201055_75_full.jpg

Nice car! Any problems (rubbing) with the wider tires?

Here is a nice tire sixe calculator from the miata guys.....works quite nicely....

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Yep....245/50s are 1" shorter than 225/60s.....darn.......you get a shorter overall gearing and a wider tire....although the speedometer maybe inaccurate.....I have 245/50/16 Kuhmo 711s on (16x8 wheels) my Grand Prix (verses the OEM 225/60/16).......not sure if the speedo is off at all.....but that size is very impressive from all aspects. If you have 8" wide wheels, get 245/50s.