Is THIS true!??

gmrulz4u

I've read it on a LOT of sites now, and I'm starting to get worried...

If a cars battery has a voltage of 11.89 or less, it's considered 0% charged!!?

I'm worried because when I check my battery with my digital multi-meter, it's only 11.8 or so.

Here's a chart that I find all over the place:

12.65 volts = 100% state-of-charge

12.45 volts = 75% state-of-charge

12.24 volts = 50% state-of-charge

12.06 volts = 25% state-of-charge

11.89 volts = 0% state-of-charge

If THIS is TRUE, my 10 month old Optima Red Top is DEAD...

Could anyone here test their battery with the engine off for at least a couple hours??

well, I worked for sears and most of the stuff that I did was checking batteries. That is not true. 0% charged is with 0 volts.

When at rest, the battery should be anywhere between 11 volts and higher. If it goes from 9.5 volts to 11, it comes up as "charge and retest" meaning to put it on a charger for an hour, and test it again. If it comes up the same, then it is bad. Any thing under 9.5 Volts, is bad.

Also when you put the car under load, then it should not drop below 10 volts. If it does, then replace it. A good way to check to see if your battery is bad, is disable your started (pull the fuel injection fuse) and crank the motor. If it stays steady, and does not start to doe, or if it starts to go down, and does not recover, then it is bad. Crank it without starting (take out the fuse, or just hold down the gas peddle at WOT) and crank it about 5 times for 10 seconds each time. Re-enable the starter, and see if it starts. If it does, then you do not have to worry. If not, then replace it.

I would like to point out that there is such a thing as a defective battery. Of all the batterys that I replaced when I was at Sears, about 25% of them were less 1 year old.

Taylor