it's official!

Brian P

OK , but let me give you this to think about. I said the same thing 3 years ago when I painted my LeSabre. I knew little about the new acrylic urethane (not that its new anymore) Enemal is SOFT period , you have to buy hardener just to get it glossy but it wont be HARD. It will be soft and it will scratch if it dont like the way you look at it. It cant be buffed ! Yes it can it just makes it foggy ! Its alot of sanding to prep a car right. My advice would be to spend 2-300 on BC CC and put some paint on there that you can work with and you will be proud of and will tolerate being washed and buffed. Please for your own good believe me you will be pissed 6 months after.

OH BOY !!!!!!! I just read !!!! This is all I'll say and then I will have nothing left to say . I have hung around body shops on and off most of my adult life and even in the old days when there was only acrylic enamal and acrylic laquer everyone used laquer. Only fools used acrylic enamal . Or guys doing quickies for used car resales. Sound like contestant # 1 ? Then they would have to use it because some dummy already did a quicky with enamal . Laquer would make enamal lift so they would have no choise.One of my best and oldest friends is a body man who I was out of touch with for 10 years, I contacted him after I made the enamal mistake. He laughed !

After years of being out of touch with body work, I was fixing a heavy truck I used with my business. Laquer is now hard to obtain and I knew nothing about this "base coat clear coat acrylic urethane" and tied urethane in with the polyurethane we used for wood finishes and thought to myself "thats no good for cars" so I said I go with the enamal. It didnt come out bad for my first finished paint job so about 1 year later when I restored my 86 2dr. LeSabre I went with it again. Only now it really mattered about the quality and performance of the paint. I am so annoyed that I didnt find out more about the acrylic urethane (not polyurethane which really kills the statements by contestent #2) "cheap" not! Urethane is more expensive. Its 3 parts - color , ativator and reducer. It hardens like epoxy glue. If you dont clean your gun right away ,(2 hours) throw it away. This stuff is like whats on your car new. Then you clear coat it and it looks like a bottle. Clear coat is the same thing - 3 parts. If you get runs in the clear coat you can wet sand them out with 1200 and then buff it and their gone. If you get a scratch , same thing.

Edit : Also if you put it on a little dry (not flat) which is best for a beginer because if you try to spray glass flat you are borderline on staying or running. Then you can wet sand it flat w/1200 then buff it and it will be like a bottle.

Dont listen to those people that bought that paint. They are quicky guys, not professionals because a knowledgeable body man would never even consider it. Go to a handfull of body shops and talk to the guys and mention enamal , you will soon find out everything I just told you and even more.

I made the mistake ! :(

that's good advice man, i appreciate it. If I can find, or if you know of a place that sells urethane at a decent price, please let me know! Cause I cant affors the $300 a gallon. If it means anything, Ive been driving in a car for 2 years with a plastikote painted hood and fender, thanks to GM peeling paint! So anything at this point is an improvement.

Sounds like our LeSabre and my same situation at that time. I could have afforded it but was being cheap. I still spent over 150.00. One gallon of thinner is 32+ you cant get 1/2 gallons but you could probably buy quarts for 15.00 each, do the math. hardener is a bit also. My paint was something like75.00 a gallon. Same deal you can get a gallon for 75.00 or 2 quarts for 35.00 each. I call my friend and get estimates and advice on the less expensive lines. Omni is the one hes going to advise I know. It a less expensive PPG product I think. PPG is like 36.00 a quart + reducer + activator. Then you need the second time around with clear coat which is around the same. I get more acurate prices. Then you need 400 grit wet paper, masking tape and paper, tack cloths, prepsol and maybe fisheye is you dont do clean prep. I got away without it but like I said with being around bodyshops , I did alot of slave labor body prep when I was younger so I know whats right and whats not good enough. Waxs, silicones, grease, oilly fingers is what causes fisheye.

$75 a gallon for the urethane??? Or for the acrylic enamel you bought for the lesabre? If thats the price of urethane then that's great! Maybe I could mail-order it from the place you recommend, because the Long Island prices are horrendous!

It's nice that you two are making plans without telling me!!! I"M GONNA PAINT ALL YOUR CARS BRIGHT RED! Taylor's car? Yeah I borrow it all the time! I take it for jumps over the Serivce road and I do top speed runs down the Big O(Ocean Parkway) while he's snoring. I hear the Big Bad Pete takes it out for top speed runs like he used to do back in the 60's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Better call Bob Ross' son to help!!!!! It's not midnight blue.......Its MayaDoga Blue.

HEY LARRY!!!!!

If what you are telling me that you and BIG BAD PETE are doing in my car is true, then I am going to hide my car keys. :twisted:

That means that you will hafta drive the green car IF you can get the keys away from Pete. Or maybe, the Audi, or (quoting your brother) FIX THE SLEEK WAGON!!!!!

Taylor

What you talkin about willis? Don't you know that my tires were worn when I got them? They were USED for cryin in the mud. Thoses were the tires that were on the wheels when I got the set off of E-bay for under $200. :wink:

As of this spring break, my car will be dark blue metallic with intl ground effects. I dont know if I will paint it one color, or paint the ground effects light silver. The wheel inserts will be the light silver used on most new wheels....ooh I cant wait!!!!
Sweet! Good luck with it. You better be at GM Nationals this year so I can check it out in person, :lol: (most likely not going to GMF cruise this year). Never thought I'd see the day you put intl gfx on your car though. Thar be the big decision, two-tone like the '88-'90 intl, or monochromatic like the '91 (and '90-'91 BYP).

NO NO NO. no takebacks. :joke: I like the color of your Cutty. in fact, I think that is close to the color that Brian wants.

Taylor

yeah, actually that's EXACTLY the color I'm going after. How bout I paint my car purple metallic and we trade body panels?

• 3 weeks later...
NO NO NO. no takebacks. :joke: I like the color of your Cutty. in fact, I think that is close to the color that Brian wants.

Taylor

yeah, actually that's EXACTLY the color I'm going after. How bout I paint my car purple metallic and we trade body panels?

hmmmm interesting idea......that would be one heckuvalong drive though. or a high shipping bill.

Monty