OBD 1.5

dalejr

There doesn't seem to be any logic behind what cars got what.

I guess not, my 95 has the regular ole 12 Pin ALDL. My old 94 Grand Am w/3100 had a wacky 16 Pin ALDL that didn't look a thing like either the OBD 1 or OBD 2 connector (maybe that was the "official" OBD 1.5 connector.)

Forgot to mention that I have a 95 Monte Carlo built early in 95.It has the square 12 pin connector but no pins to jumper. Soo the OBD 2 wont even fit. I have a OTC scanner but need to find a cartridge for 95 on down?

Forgot to mention that I have a 95 Monte Carlo built early in 95.It has the square 12 pin connector but no pins to jumper. Soo the OBD 2 wont even fit. I have a OTC scanner but need to find a cartridge for 95 on down?

Congratulations you have ODB1.5 just like I do. When ODB1.5 was put in what cars is pretty random but a lot of 95 Montes have it. Only place that can read them is a stealership and they charge out the ass.

Ive given up and Im upgrading my harness and PCM to ODBII to save myself the pain.

http://www.mymonte.com/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=2&MessageID=179095

My friend has a "mind reader" scanner which scans 1990-1995 models no fuss. I have the same style connector as OBD1 on my '95. It's able to read everything the computer throws out.

ALDL does not work on ODB1.5

Not all 95s got ODB1.5, most of the montes did espically ones built in mid-late 95. If you have odb1.5 you will have a connector that looks similar to odbI however the pinouts are different.

The easiest way to tell is if it looks like ODBI try the jumper trick to read the codes. If it works then you have ODBI and things like standard shop readers and ALDL will work.

If not then you have ODB1.5 which can be read by the Tech2 with a special adapter as well as a couple aftermarket units that have come out in recent months. AFAIK there are no programs for the 1.5 and it is not easily flashable.

I have a vehicle definition for 94-95 3.4 DOHC in EFI Live and it seems to be working quite well. I've also interfaced with the 94-95 3100 (thoough I never made a definition) using Efi Live, both cars using a plain ole $3.00 OBD1 scan cable. Also, the 94-95 3.4 16196401 ECM is still MEMCAL based, and I have yet to test this theory but it should also be able to control the SFI 3x00.

I have a vehicle definition for 94-95 3.4 DOHC in EFI Live and it seems to be working quite well. I've also interfaced with the 94-95 3100 (thoough I never made a definition) using Efi Live, both cars using a plain ole $3.00 OBD1 scan cable. Also, the 94-95 3.4 16196401 ECM is still MEMCAL based, and I have yet to test this theory but it should also be able to control the SFI 3x00.

early 95 cars got ODB1 GM did not put ODB1.5 into 95 models till quite late in the model year. Trust me you prob havent seen an ODB1.5 becasue the connector looks like an ODBII not ODBI however the pin outs are completly different than ODBI and ODBII. ODBI and ODB1.5 are very different beasts.

I just got done swapping an engine in another 95 Monte that was built late in 94 (mine was built late in 95). He had ODBI and I also notcied that his mounting brackets and alot of other hardware was excatly like a 1st gen W-body while mine had all the same stuff all the other 1.5gens got.

It was nice getting his engine running because we could jumper the connector pins and get the codes, unlike mine which was "oh shit, SES!, umm maybe its this one, ok try it now"...repeat till it works.

I am referring to the 94-95 3.4 DOHC SFI 16196401 (MEMCAL) and the 94-95 3100 SFI 16196387 (BDM FLASH). Some of which got an OBD2 connector, none of which had the paperclip to check SES feature. OBD1.5 is just a term that was made up 3-4 years ago because nobody knew much about them.

I know ODB1.5 is made up, but its the best term for it since while it conforms to the 1.0 spec it also contains 2.0 aspects.

As for being able to read it or use Memcal, perhaps my PCM is hosed in some way becasue for whatever reason I have never been able to get it to work on mine. :cry:

Oh well, Im going to ODBII now so screw it. :lol:

I havnt looked real hard but the 12 pin connector has maybe 2 pins located on the right side one on top row one on bottom row. Its deffinetly OBD1 aldl. My manual says I should jump A and B term. I only have an A and M? Anyn one got any ideas?