Noise coming from engine

godofthunder

I was wondering... i have a slight kocking coming from my engine when its cold. Once the motor warms up, it goes away? I was told this could be the rockers.

I have heard this in my two previous cars, in my bros 90 Sundance RS, and even at times in my GFs 01 Dakota Sport

Jon

Is it a hard knock? Or like a faint one u can just barely hear. Mine only did it feintly when it was REEEEEALLY cold, probably cause the oil needs to fluctuate(when its warm it goes away) so perhaps once the oil gets its fluidity back its good. Even 5w oil gets a bit sluggish. doesnt freeze, but it doesnt pour out like water. My friends GTP does it to, so i think its a normal thing, what about the rest of u guys?

Its not that hard of a knock. You can sure hear it though. Like my bro came out the other morning when it was like 20-30 degrees outside, and you could hear it at the door (15 ft away) easily. But once i got to school (13 miles, stop and go driving) or even if i take a short trip (to work, 2-3 miles), it will go away, or not be as loud.

I hear it, and it stands out to me. Others, like my GF really dont hear it as bad as I think i do. But I hear it in her brand new truck too.

Its annoying, mainly caus I dont here many others doing it. I know I drive my car hard, but I know others who do too, and they done have this.

Its ok if its normal, just caus its so darn cold. But I dont want it to be anything drastic! I am pretty sure it is not, My old Ciera did the same thing and it lasted forever.

I run Mid or Premium grade gas (89 or 93 oct.), so I am pretty sure it is not pinging. I have never heard pinging, but I heard it sounds like BBs in the cylinders (would this be a high pitched ping?, like BBs in a metal can?), which this is nothign like.

As I mentioned before, its a 3100 ('96) with about 112,000 miles. I also have heard it in my Ciera that had a rebuilt motor with 40k, and my GFs Dakota Sport (3.9 Magnum) with 17k miles.

Jon

PS - sorry for the lonnnngg post

Well don't feel bad, I drove both my cars hard, and my impala while new has a slight knock, and my wrangler has a knock to. They are subtle, but if u listen its there. Like my friend said, if you know about it, then its going to bother u. Knocking could be from the gas your using or to maybe not enough oil?

I'd try switching to a higher grade fuel, like Super or Supreme(Premium) ect and going to a lighter oil maybe.

I dunno thats my suggestion.

When i take my car in for a ISS lube, i'll ask the GM guys what it could be.

If it is a slight tapping, then don't worry about it.

My 1995 Cutlass with the 3100 did it

My mom's 1996 Grand Prix with the 3100 does it

My friends 1998 Cutlass with the 3100 does it

My 1999 Alero did it.

The motor that I am building (a 3100) will probably do it.

It is the LOUD RATTLING KNOCKING THAT YOU HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT, not a slight lifter tap that almost EVERY motor will do.

You also do not have to sorry unless it gets REALLY loud, or if it does not go away after warming up.

Taylor

A friend of mine and my dads said its the lifters too. But your right, my mom used to have a 91 Lumina Euro, with the 3.1, and it didnt do it.

But yes, it does go away when the car is warmed up. And no, its not really rattling, just a bunch of quick knocks (like the lifters!)

weeeee

Jon