16 hour drive!! what do you guys do to prep for long drive?

89BuickRegalGS

Just wondering what you guys do to prep your car for long distant drives? I have a 16 hour drive form Auburn, Alabama to New Jersey this Friday, and I am driving the 16 hours straight through.

sleep VERY well beforehand. DON'T eat allot.. a full stomach thends to make you want to take a nap.. snack everychance you get along the way, if your snacking you tend to stay awake (keeps you occupied). Don't snack on lots of junkfood.. the sugar gives you a temp sugar buzz but it will make very tired once it wears off. and if all else fails pop a couple caffine pills when you start to feed drowsy. you will bo so wired you won't be able to sit still long enough to go to sleep.

RedZ

Check or change the oil if it's needed.. check all the fluid levels, check tire pressure.. can't think of anything else right off hand. Like shane said, make sure you get a good night's sleep before you leave.

ehcek EVERYTHING on the car before you leave. Check (or change) your oil, and tranny fluid, check your air filter, your tire pressure, EVERYTHING.

When you are on the road, keep the map, and the CD's close at hand that way you don't get distract5ed searching for them. If you think that you are lost, PULL OVER, don't try to find where you are on the map while driving. If you feel like you need to sleep, then PULL OVER AND TAKE A NAP. Do not do like I tried to do and drive 1800 miles nonstop (32 hours with naps). Also, as you drive, EVERY TIME you stop for gas, check your oil, tranny fluid, and tire pressure. The last thing that you want is to get stranded. Also, keep plenty of fluids handy (both for you and for the car). Take extra oil, tranny fluid, and tools for the just-in-case type of situation.

Also, when you eat, you can have soda, but while you are driving, keep it to water. A lot of the times, caffeine tends to just make you more thirsty.

Taylor

most improtant, get lpenty of sleep before you go, and if you get tired along the way, pull into a rest area, and REST.

Buy some of that fix-a-flat stuff in a can.

Since it's winter time in the north east, you want to get some cold weather items too.

Take blankts, flash lights, road flares, batteries, first-aid kit, de-icer washer fluid [good idea to fill it with this before you go], lock de-icer, cell phone, plenty of bottled water, jumper cables, spare tire and jack, ice scraper with a snow brush, small portable shovel, road salt.

hey dont forget hoses! check them on the ends and look for big cracks etc. if they are balling on the ends i wouldnt make the trip, or replace them, cuz theyll most likley bust, specially the ones for water pump/coolant etc

wow, thats a lot of stuff i actually didn't think of. I just hope for good weather and a safe drive! I have done this drive now 6 times, but never this time of year. i really really hope the weather is good

Just to let ya know, its 2 degrees right now here in northwestern PA, welcome to COLD HELL! I'll have a nice drive comin up here in April, going to Florida, that's a 21 hr drive. I don't know if I want to take the GTP yet cuz that my favorite highway cruiser, or the Cutty. GTP requires premium fuel and that gets expensive, heh.

Aaron

Just thought of something, after you check all your mechanical stuff, Rain-X all the glass and headlights. That helps ALOT through all the elements. And don't forget to pick up an ice-scraper, your gonna need it up here! :lol:

Aaron

cool, that'll be a big help. Any thing for the car?

I am a retard.. i was thinking you where asking what you can do to prep yourself.. BOY i feel like a horses petute!

here is what i do:

* Check all fluid levels

* check tire pressure

* oil change

* fuel filter (if you have not done one recently)

* ballance and rotate tires (if not recently done)

* clean it very well inside.. you will start getting adjitated at little things alone the way.. less mess will make you more comfertable.

* Pack the car the night before (less time wasted in the morning)

* Leave at an obserd hour of the night (less traffic and you can make better time)

RedZ

sheesh? all you people forgot to tell him to masterbate before he has to drive.....that way 1. You won't be as horny and 2. you won't wreck because you're trying to jack off with one hand and drive with the other..........JUST KIDDING....do what everyone besides me said, check hoses, filters, tire pressure, fluids, etc

Ever read "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" By Hunter S. Thompson?

You need a good supply of drugs: uppers downers screamers laughers, a salt shaker full of cocaine, a sheet of blotter with high powered LSD, a case of cheap beer, and a pint of ether.

The only thing you need to worry about is the Ether. There's nothing more depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge.