2.8 for 3.1

NORBI

Ok i have an option to get another 2.8 for 400$ and i want to know if a 3.1 from a 89 Cutlass SUpreme will be a good replacement for my 2.8. My mechanic called a junk yard and they told him that it has a little different connections to the motor and i heard here that everything will fit without a problem. So i want to know if i buy a 3.1 will it just be a matter of disconnecting a 2.8 and connecting a 3.1 without any modifications.

honestly I can't think of much that will be different. Since your cutlass is an '88 there will be 2 sensors you'll need to concentrate on. One is the oil pressure sensor, in '88 there's only 1 wire going to it. in '89+ there's 3. Also there's a sensor screwed into the lower intake manifold just below where the coolant temp sensor mounts. I forgot what its purpose was. However you can avoid any hassle by just using your lower intake off the 2.8 and mounting it to the 3.1, and use your original oil pressure sensor on the 3.1. Problem solved

Thats it?

THanks a lot. I dont really want to change my 2.8 since it runs very good and has only :D 192k miles, but changing a head gasket will cost as much as putting another engine instead.

also, if you are going to buy another motor, try to find one with lower milege. That other car of yours is a prime example. Also, if you change out the 1988 for a 1989, you will need the 1989 programming, and air box. The 1988 Cars have the round airbox that has a MAF sensor. Most of the MAS MEM-CAL's got replaced with speed density ones, but there are still differances between the 2.

Taylor

What difference would the air sensor do, in my Cutty i have a computer that came out of the 89 Grand Prix with 3.1 and it even runs better then it did on original computer, sorry that i am asking so many questions but i dont want to be without a car for too long and want to get the best deal so that the car will run for couple more years. :roll:

do you have the stock ROUND airbox? If so, then chances are, it just took the 2 wires that are used for the air temp sensor, and is disreguarding the other 3 for the MAF. basically, it just turned the MAF into a GIANT air temp sensor.

Taylor

i still have a stock round air box and was planning to change it to a newer type of air box from newer CS but now if i change engine to a 3.1 i think i will have to change into newer one. And with that computer i notticed a little more HP and little lower gas milage but car feels little more powerful with it i got no idea how but i like it better like that. :P

Don't forget the EGR. Most 3.1's have a Digital EGR while your 2.8 is wired for Vacuum EGR. Very few 3.1's have the vac EGR (just 89 3.1's). Since the vac EGR is more reliable, I'd use your old EGR and just use a chip for an 89 3.1L.

EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation.

It's the thing on the back of the plenum close to the firewall, not far from the throttle body.

You can use a 3.1L 90-93 if you'd like. I believe Digital EGR uses an adapter and you can just remove it and bolt on the vacuum EGR.

You will just need a CHIP from an '89 3.1L, but you don't have to restrict yourself to 89 engines.