Which engine is best?

Guest Anonymous

Which engine is best for the money to do a swap?  

1. 1. Which engine is best for the money to do a swap?

• Mclaren Intercooled Turbo 3.1
    • 3.1L ohv
    • 3.8 Supercharged
    • 3800 V6
    • Rebuild the existing 3.4

Guest Anonymous

whichever will make my account semi-happy (aka cheapest) is what im up for! becuase ive got an additional mod list totalling over 5 grand!

Most performance for the money I'd say L67.

HOWEVER I think if you were to find a USED 3.4 that would be the cheapest bang for the buck. You might be able to get lucky and find a w-body of some sort for cheap with a good running 3.4 and swap it in.

Turbo 3.1 would be cool but probably would cost the most to rebuild and swap in.. i dunno. Plus TGP is harder to find than L67.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks guys. I think a better 3.4 or a rebuild on the existing would be best. L67 is awesome and same with TGP, but Its just going to cost way to much... now If I got a decent 3.4, could they not just pull the old one out and pop the new one in...? same with a 3.1 that may be more reliable or is everything different?

Don't bother with the 3.1 if you want the car to be quick.. and since this is your project car I don't know why its even in your list. The "lowest" engine I'd put it either a 3400 or 3800 n/a.

I say L36. They can be had pretty cheaply, and n/a can easily put out 220 HP. Not beatup your pocket book, and not have to use 92 octane gas. I would want something reliable, and not give you fits. LG5 hard to find, L67 external combustion engine, 3.1 not enough ass, 3.4 (second suggestion), Me, it'd be a 3800S2, decent power, and different.

why not get an l36 and then get that one aftermarket supercharger for it? (or do you have to have a l67 to replace it?) i would think if it was possible with just a bigger belt or whatever, i was almost thinking of that. that after market sc is like 300 i think

why not get an l36 and then get that one aftermarket supercharger for it? (or do you have to have a l67 to replace it?) i would think if it was possible with just a bigger belt or whatever, i was almost thinking of that. that after market sc is like 300 i think

You cannot just bolt a roots-type supercharger to an L36. It won't work that way.

L67 all the way. Best bang for the buck, plus tons of aftermarket. Probably the easiest to swap in, seeing as there's a whole online community of people who have done the swap themselves...

Guest Anonymous

Im leaning towards a 3.4 booosted. for several reasons:

1. I already have a 3.4 in there

2. decent 3.4's are cheap

3. It would be the most inexpensive to swap since the engines are identical

4. Would have the least effect on the authenticty of the car (even if its just decals for the RPE-haters.)

5. I can wire the boost into the TGP cluster that going in (same with L67 tho...)

6. No new wiring needed and alll that computer crap.

HOWEVER i'd still like more opinions coming. Im no mechanic and make no claim to be one. Me and engines are like water and oil.

Im no mechanic and make no claim to be one. Me and engines are like water and oil.

And for that exact reason I'd avoid the 3.4. I ain't bashing.. I'm just saying it takes some know-how and some $$ to keep 'em in line. They've got their place, but not usually with the mechanically inept.

Guest Anonymous

I agree.

I dont have the know-how (yet) to take care of the 3.4 w/o a mechanic. Buts it would be the most efficent solution to the engine issues which include:

a blown head gasket which may be cuasing:

rough driving

bad valve/cylinder compression

buring oil upon startup

using coolant quickly

and it is a bitch to start.. may need starter? and new AC that should be converted to the kinda-envirmonetally safe-r freon?

if it lacked its sentimental value and rpe-status, id junk it, but it means too much to me... i love that old' rpe.

I say screw authenticity and swap in an L67. In my opinion it'd give your car more balls than a boosted 3.4, but thats my opinion. I've never been one to care about how authentic a car is.