rough idle

camkos10101

sheck for a vacuum leak first. spray some carb cleaner around the intake and listen for the cars idle to change (the car will try to stall). If it does, then that is where the leak is (check around the TB, where the inake meets the lower intake, etc).

You can also try cleaning your IAC, and checking your spark plugs (or just go ahead and replace them, and your spark plug wires, and make sure that the gap is set correctly).

Taylor

Like Taylor said, check your gap on your sparkplugs, check your wires, and look at the elctrode on all sparkplugs to make sure they are all clean. If one or more is not than that will narrow down your search. Clean the ass out of your throttle body. Make sure you have it wide open and spray the inside, you'll be surprised at the shit that comes out. Good luck.

• 2 months later...
Clean the ass out of your throttle body. Make sure you have it wide open and spray the inside, you'll be surprised at the shit that comes out. Good luck.

Anybody know where there are step by step insttruction to do this ?? I don't wanna screw-up anything :(

Piece of cake...

1.) make sure the engine is warm and at regular running tempreture

2.) next, with car off, remove intake duct to throttle body

3.) start car and use one hand for the throttle body cleaner can and the other to control the butterfly throttle plate

4.) with car running, spray the cleaner into the TB with open and closing the butterfly... "floor" the engine on several occasions while spraying

5.) shut off car after can of cleaner is emtpy

6.) re-install intake duct

7.) refire up and take a drive

8.) if SES light comes on, reset by pulling negative battery cable over-night...

Pictures are available is needed...

- RedFox340

if your plugs an wires are good, your coils or ignition control module, may be bad. Do what everyone else said first, Im just giving you more options. If nothing else works, crank position sensor.

Robby

Piece of cake...

1.) make sure the engine is warm and at regular running tempreture

2.) next, with car off, remove intake duct to throttle body

Great. Thanks Redfox340- even I can't screw that up

:oops:

if your plugs an wires are good, your coils or ignition control module, may be bad. Do what everyone else said first, Im just giving you more options. If nothing else works, crank position sensor.

Robby

My '89 GS was idling poorly - just got it back from my garage along with a $600 bill - new plug wires, new ignition coil, new ignition module!! Idles like a champ now but I am even more poor :)

• 3 weeks later...

Does it go chug-chug-chug at regular intervals under hard acceleration in addition to the rough idle? Last time these symptoms happened to me one of my coil packs was sending out insufficient spark.

my car is idling rough...it seems like it is missing maybe, or like the ignition timing is off...anyone else have a prob like this or how the hell can i fix it?