help on VSS Switch Mod

ploben

I'm looking to throw an inline switch to my VSS and need help with the location of the wire to my tranny. My first time doing a mod like this and wondering if I could get any help from someone(s) that have done this or kno where to look for it.

~BenZ

I assume you are doing this to try and get around your governor?

If so, be aware that the 4T60-E does NOT like not seeing the VSS (OBDII ones at least), and you WILL lose overdrive (and you can only select 1st and 2nd gears MANUALLY).

I don't know how the fully vacuum 4T60 will handle it though.........

BTW..........the VSS is on the passenger side of the trans near the output shaft (on L-Body's at least).

PM Canada for more info (he has done this mod previously.......now he just pulls out his VSS if he knows he wants to go fast :wink: ).

yea im looking to bypass the shitty cut off at 108...

its a 97 olds cutlass sup. BTW

ok...so like in english...ill lose the overdrive by DISABLING the VSS? and is there any serious draw backs to performing this mod?

My friend has a chevy cav. Z24 and said it was no sweat to do his VSS mod...but just wasnt sure on where to find my VSS wire.

Thats the only reason I'm looking to here for help, cause his J-body mod would probably be diffrent in regards to my W-body mod.

My reply to the PM I recieved........

One draw back is being able to make quality wire splices.......you should use crip and seal butt connectors.....3M makes them and they are avalible at Wal-Mart and other common places....its a normal butt connector butt with heat shrink plastic over the connector to keep water out.

Another draw back is the fact that the code has to "pop" before you are allowed second and third gear.....this means driving at part throttle for 10-15 seconds below 45 mph.......at least thats the way it was on my Beretta.

With this setup, you aren't allowed to make a 0 mph to top speed run.....because the code has to pop.....for me, its just as easy to turn the wheels to the right and reach through the wheel well and disconnect the VSS. On my 4T60-E its on the right output shaft......purple and yellow wire.

I should also add that you don't pernamently loose overdrive...........only while the VSS is disconnected do you not have 4th and 1st gear.....only 2nd and 3rd.....which MUST be manual selected.