ZMAX Good shit, or bad shit?

fleetwoodguy79

I keep seeing these infomercials for this ZMAX cleaner, then go to Autozone and its advertised out that wazooo! Anyone used this and does it really work?? Or is it bs like most everything out there.

Guest Anonymous

IMO it is not any good. I'm sure if it was woerth using you would hear someone on here talking about it. I never hear anything about it other than on the commercials.

Don't waste your money on bullshit snake oil with heavy marketing. If you want real results use synthetic oil (Mobil 1, Redline, Amsoil, Royal Purple) and use a high flow filter with at least 97% SPE.

I used ZMAX once on my 88CS and back then it had 185k miles on it and now i got 192k miles. I didnt really see any difference in gas milage and the one you put in a transmission i didnt see any difference at all but one that you put into oil i notticed a little difference after about 1k and i felt like the engine was working little easier and little better but i dont think its worth spending 30$ for it (thats how much i paid) I think its just bunch of lies.

Let me start by saying I am a network engineer and in no way associated with anyone related to Zmax. I use Redline oil exclusively in my vehicles and Mobil1 filters.

I use ZMAX religously in my car and my Jeep. I get consistent 12% gains in gas mileage on my Jeep and 10% gains on my Z34. It really is good stuff if you do your research on it it is the only product like this ever to have received FAA approval for use in engines. On top of that, it has been marketed since the 1940's as a product called "Linkite" named after the person who developed it named Lencki back in the mid 30's. It was a trade secret with Indy car racers up until the 80's.

You can talk trash about "snake oils" all you want, I agree that most of them are bullshit. ZMAX is defintely NOT a snake oil, it certainly lives up to it's expectations. When you use it, it usually takes about 600 miles for the stuff to work its way into the metal, then you begin to see the mileage increases. If you don't believe me, I have data to prove it as I track all fuel mileage on my Jeep.

The main benefits of using Zmax IMHO are the long-term ones such as reduced bearing wear and less shearing/scuffing on the cylinder walls. I can't wait until I tear into one of my engines that has been using zmax so that I can see how much (if any) that it protects the engine from wear.

I also failed to mention.....

In my Jeep the 5spd tranny had a terrible gear chatter straight from the factory. Extensive warranty service on the tranny showed that there was nothing wrong with the tranny, it was damn near rebuilt.

Even after the rebuilds on the tranny it still made the noise. I added Zmax to the tranny and the noises have all but stopped. I couldn't believe it, but I'm glad it did.

If ZMAX is such good stuff then why are they being sued by the Feds for false advertising? I work in the automotive additive field and the analyses that I have seen have shown that it is nothing more than colored White Mineral Oil. IMO, the improvements that you have seen from using their crap you could have saved a few bucks by putting mineral oil in your car and trans.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Did you notice the date of that article? February 2001. What was the outcome of the lawsuit?

http://www.network54.com/Forum/thread?forumid=51772&messageid=1036275779&lp=1036275779

More info from another person who has tried zmax and swears by it:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/thread?forumid=51772&messageid=1039355342&lp=1039443349

Here's Z-Max's rebuttal to the FTC lawsuit:

Subject: FTC action against zMAX®

First of all, the fact that the FTC has filed a suit does not make their opinion a statement of fact. That is why we have courts. We do not agree with the FTC.

We believe the FTC has erroneously lumped zMAX into a group of engine additives that they have sued and settled with in the past. zMAX is not like Slick50, TM8, Duralube, Prolong, Motorup or any of the other product that the FTC settled with. That is why zMAX is still available and that is why zMAX is willing go to court and have our case presented before and decided by a Federal judge. We provided our testing and experts opinions to the FTC before they filed the suit. We showed them that we were different. They didn't appear to listen. In fact, the FTC filed their suit against zMAX before they did any testing of their own.

We told them at a sister Federal agency, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) had approved the aviation version of zMAX for use in all piston driven aircraft in 1980. Well-known aviators such as Dick Rutan and Sean Tucker use the product. World famous racers like AJ Foyt and Carroll Shelby have used the product for many years. One of the most respected automotive journalists, Robert Sikorsky has tested zMAX and says it is one of the first additives that he has found that works. We have hundreds of pages of industry standard test results that prove zMAX does what we say it will do. And literally hundreds of thousands of consumers have used zMAX with success.

If you have specific questions about zMAX, please email them to zMAX2@perigee.net, but be assured that we are and will be aggressively defending zMAX against this erroneous attack by the FTC.

If you poo-poo Zmax, I suggest you try Redline's SL-1 intake cleaner. It is also a kickass product that does an awesome job cleaning the upper engine. Oh, BTW it's only $3.95 a bottle too :D