What aftermarket exhaust?

MotorCityMike

It all depends on what quality of work you get done and as to what sound you really like....first off considering displacement, theres no need for a 3 inch exhaust on anyone of these cars and you'll lose hp and gain more racket. 2.5 is as far as I'd go. I think that the 2.25 stock is nice, thats if your motor is signifcanlty, outright thowing out so much more exhaust.

Agreed. 2.5" on a car that is not heavily modified still may be to large.. the DOHC motor is gutless down low with 2.5" catback.. i found that out the hard/expencive way.

3" exhaust would only benifit the turbo guys.. and again with as small of a trubo as they are running 2.5" again would suffice.

RedZ

I have a high flow cat leading to a glasspack in place of the resonator. That leads to twin Hooker performance comp turbo mufflers. Sounds nice. With the DOHC, I wouldn't get rid of the cat unless you plan on replacing it with something else. Your car will idle shitty and sound very raspy...

I am now looking at the Dynomax Turbo Mufflers, or the Ultraflow. Whcih would sound cleaner? Does anyone have any recordings of their W-body with either of these on a 3100?

Jon

no popping from my flowmaster exhaust on my 93 GP(3.1mpfi)......actually no popping from either setup I had.......first setup = 30 series flowmaster in place of the cat(removed it and stock mufflers)with 2.5'' pipe all the way out the back ........current setup one one-chambered flowmaster in place of cat with 2.5'' piping....sounds awesome for a 6 cyl!......loud as hell, annoying to me only when I have a headache, which is rarely.....if I ever get around to buying something to record sound with I'll post some clips of it......I might check around for something to do it with today

EDIT: oh yeah, I had no loss of low end power, and maybe a little gain on top-end power

I'll have to get underside pics for you guys...

What it basically is is a Bullet muffler where the stock resonator was, and a Y-pipe where the muffler used to be. The 2 pipes run side by side out of the Y back to the tips. I still have the stock cat and no muffler except the bullet. It sounds real good, but a little too loud for my taste but theres really nothing I can do to quiet it down cause theres no more room for a muffler.

If anyone wants this setup let me know. I can either duplicate it or sell you mine and put it back to stock. I need a quiet car for my job and this is just a little too loud.

I would just like to add that the car lost low end torque on the butt-dyno with the new exhaust. It had a lot more part throttle acceleration with the stock system, but at WOT at 4500RPMs it seems to pull better. I also think I lost a few MPG. I used to get 20MPG combined city/highway driving, now its more like 17-18.

I really am beginning to believe that these engines don't like airflow :shock: