*hot* sunroof??

THe_DeTAiL3R

My A/C hasn't worked for many years and its beyond the $$ I'd be willing to pay to have it fixed, so I'm wondering about installing a sunroof. I like natural air better (wish I had a convertable) better than dry A/C air anyways. Is installing one difficult? Or is it basically just cutting through sheet metal? Are there any support beams or whatever in the way that would need to be dealt with? Also, would getting a sunroof from the wreckers be a good idea, or would it leak and shit? I want to keep cost to a minimum.

Guest TurboSedan
FWIW: I would never have an aftermarket sunroof installed in any car....

i probably wouldn't either, but then again i think Erik (Redfox340) had one installed and was happy with it.

i LOVE the factory ASC power slider in my GTS, i have it open 90% of the time.

I dunno what the quality of aftermarket sunroofs are like.. but we had a (stock) sunroof on our 85 T-bird, and while you could tell the quality wasn't the greatest it was still okay. I don't want a fancy power sliding one or anything, just a glass one, possibly from a used car??

I had a camaro awhile ago....i had a sunroof installed...

no issues ever...never a leak.

If you have the right professional installer it will be guaranteed and you will have no worries...

my buddy had an (inside) sliding power sunroof installed in his 95 Cutty a few months before he sold it, the thing didn't leak at all. The total cost of the install was $1000.00 that was parts and labor.

--Dave.

I had a simple pop-up sunroof installed in my Lumina about 4 years ago. I had it in the car for 2 years and I NEVER had a single problem. I loved it and was very happy with it. Granted, the pop-up sunroofs don't look even close to a stock roof, its the cheapest alternative. Like they said above, I think it depends on the installer. I personally would never install one myself, as I don't have the knowledge to make it perfect... you're cutting an (almost) irreservable hole in your roof.

The one I had stood up to harsh conditions and it never leaked whatsoever. The car had been pounded with hail, took out the rear window, yet the sunroof never broke. The hood flipped up when I was driving, took out my windshield, dented the roof above the windshield, and slammed into the sunroof.. still never leaked. If you're going to have it professionally installed, just do some research beforehand.. it'll save a lot of headache later.

Well, what is involved in gettin one of these into our cars? Is it just a matter of cuttin the roof and sealin it up? Because theres a Regal in a yard here with a sunroof.. I want one, lol.. But I dont really want to tear it all apart, then get pissed off because I dont have a cerain tool..

:neutral:

Well, what is involved in gettin one of these into our cars? Is it just a matter of cuttin the roof and sealin it up? Because theres a Regal in a yard here with a sunroof.. I want one, lol.. But I dont really want to tear it all apart, then get pissed off because I dont have a cerain tool..

:neutral:

Thats about all it is... the biggest part is measure 60 times ... cut once. Once that blade goes thru the roof, there is no turning back. There are support beams in the roof that you'll more than likely cut through, so I'm not sure what, if any, additional reinforcement is required.

I have an aftermarket in my car. It's been there since I think '98. I've only had the car since '02. Now, since I've had it, it has yet to leak so I am pretty happy with it. It just flips up and you can pop it out, but gotta stop for that one. Only thing I've noticed, if it's out the whole way, you gotta have the windows open so that way the air doesn't make your head go crazy.

But I have yet to have ANY leaks, and thats with snow, rain, hail, ice...basically whatever...lol

I had a popup installed in my '88 regal for 199.99 + tax. This was about 6 yrs ago, but I know you can get one a bit higher...inflation...and I wanted to add that it never leaked.

I might go to the wreckers and see if there are any w-bodies with stock sunroof and see how much $$$. I've been watching so many car shows on TV with cutting and stuff... while I don't have a plasma cutter I know how to use sheet metal snips (dad is licenced gas fitter, I'm his assistant). Also got my grinder, sawzall, and jigsaw. I'll silicon it to death, even if it doesn't look perfect, as long as its functional and doesn't leak. God damnit its hot in my car!!!!

I probably wouldn't either, but then again i think Erik (Redfox340) had one installed and was happy with it.

I was! And if I had another car without a sunroof, I'd do it again.

I was very impressed about installation, warranty, etc... lifetime against leaks.

Went through a local installer and it turned out to be the best exterior / interior modification I ever made.

Hopefully that'll give you some insight.

- Erik